Author Topic: "Exiles" transported to Port Phillip 1845-1849  (Read 49953 times)

Offline Lazarus

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: "Exiles" transported to Port Phillip 1845-1849
« Reply #72 on: Sunday 20 September 09 02:27 BST (UK) »
Good morning Ivan.
I noticed your posting regarding a William Osborn who came to Australia on "Maitland".
I have a reference book which mentions this person.You may already have this information:

William Osborne b1826 was sentenced to 7 years transportation 6.4.1842 at STS Stafford Quarter Sessions.He was convicted of stealing tools and received Parkhurst Prison 15.9.1842 where he was taught the trade of carpenter.He was single,"reads and writes".
He was shipped to Williamstown arriving 9.11.1846.He was granted a conditional pardon on arrival.

I hope this helps.
Rex
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline regross

• RIP 16th November 2012
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • paper doll fashionista
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Sunday 20 September 09 05:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Navi,

I have George Osborne and Sarah (?Spilsbury?) as William's parents. Source, descendants of his eldest child William Osborne who moved to NZ.

No details on his marriage in 1852 in Geelong #23788 Death has mother's maiden name as Spilsbury. #784 for1905 place of birthLeek Staffordshhire informant son George Osborne,

regards

Robyn
The following families and their Australian decendents:
Abbott, Barnard, Clarke, Inward, Lanfear, Rutter,Spencer:Middlesex
Greenaway:Cornwall
Edney, Godwin/Goodwin, Gullett:Hampshire;
Gullett:Devon
Emms:39th Regiment of Foot 1810-1832
Gordon:Scotland
Arnold, Morton:Ireland
Davies:Wales
Olcorn:Cumberland
Osborne:Staffordshire
Harrington:Kent
&
Gross: Tullau Wurtmemburg Germany

Offline Navi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Sunday 20 September 09 07:56 BST (UK) »
Hello Robyn.

Hello Rex.

Thank you both for  replies that are welcome and helpful.

I was hoping for Parent names a little different, the Osborne and Sarah parts are fine. the George and Spilbury parts are not what I hoped for.

I thank you again.

Ivan

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Sunday 20 September 09 10:37 BST (UK) »
This is my first post.  I am interested in Osborne Leek Staffordshire in early 1800s. Can you tell me the names of the Parents of the William Osborne transported to Port Phillip on the Maitland 1847. Or anything about his life in  England. There appears to have been more than one William Osborne born in Leek at that time..

Regards Ivan

Hello  there Ivan  Navi,

perhaps  if you are not convinced  this is your William Osborne, I  would suggest  that  you start off a new topic seeking information on  your William Osborne,

please include as much information as you do know,
his year of birth, and where
his parent names including his mother's maiden name
and when you last "found" him in England

We have a lot of willing informed rootschatters with a lot of resources at  their fingertips ready and willing to help you in your research

kind thoughts Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline regross

• RIP 16th November 2012
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • paper doll fashionista
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Monday 21 September 09 07:22 BST (UK) »
Navi,

I am only relying on others information for  his father's name. Other sources have suggested it might also be William his mother's maiden name was all that was in that field on his death certificate again I am relying on other for her name as Sarah.

I have contacted  the local archives in Leek and they were unable to help  other than the following information he had nothing else to add.

I have had a look at the Staffordshire Advertiser newspaper for 9 April 1842 and found a very brief mention of the case.  William Osborne was charged at the Staffordshire Quarter Sessions on 6 April 1842 along with Joseph Worthington of stealing a pair of cloth boots from Henry Plant at Leek.  They both pleaded guilty so I would assume there was no formal trial.  Other than this there was no other information given about the case.

Again the victim or the accomplices name may help you.

He is the exile referred to above and he reoffended after his marriage and spent a further 4 years in prison in Victoria.

Children's names which if he and his wife Maria followed traditional practices may help you clarify things:
William, John, Sarah, Elizabeth, Mary Ann, George, James, Richard, Hannah, Lucy, Anne Maria.

His wife was Maria Go(o)dwin.  Maria's parents were Charles Go(o)dwin and Sarah Harrington.
Daghters Elizabeth (my gg garandmother ) and Mary Ann were married to the same man. Mary Ann married him after Elizabeth died and was step mother to the two surviving children and a fostered daughter. She had no children herself.

regards
Robyn
&

Offline regross

• RIP 16th November 2012
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • paper doll fashionista
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 07:47 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I have an 1841 census reference for William Osborne from another decendent in NZ:

#HO107, Piece,1005, in Folio 5\18, on page 28 for the Registration District of Leek in the  Civil Parish:  Leek and the address in the Borough: Church Lane, Leek, Leek & Lowe.

Thsi should help identify his parents. The same researcher gave me George and Sarah as his parents names, I assume from this census entry.

regards

Robyn
&

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 03:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony,

You may like to take a look at this thread

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,462414.msg3231114.html#msg3231114

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 10:20 BST (UK) »
Hello Kris,

Thank you for the "lead".

Strangely the Lister has not mentioned her ancestor's name, unless of course he happens to be one of those she has highlighted.  Most of them I have substantial information for, including full Biographies, although for the latter cases not all can be released without prior approval of the family researchers who helped with BDM details etc.
It will be interesting to find out why the Lister has indicated these specific Parkhurst Boys.

For the moment

Tony

Offline shannonamanda84

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 14:12 BST (UK) »
Dear Tony

Hi my name is Amanda and I have information on one of your parkhurst boys i think, i have information that my great great grandfather Thomas Matthews was a parkhurst boy. Although I don't have any information on him before he came to Australia on the Joseph Soames, I have extensive info on his life here in Australia. Here is what i know and if you have any info to give me on him before he got here ie parents and birthplace would greatly appreciate it.

Thomas Matthews was born in 1830 in Bath England and was convicted of stealing ? and was transported to Australia on the Joseph Soames and sailed from Spithead, Portsmouth, on 09/06/1847 for the Port Phillip District of New South Wales, finally disembarking at Point Henry, Geelong, Victoria on 24/09/1847. Thomas met an Irish girl named Mary O’Boyle who also appears to have been an
     orphan born in Newry, Ireland, and came to Australia in 1844 when she was ten
     years old with an Aunt, living in Melbourne.   Thomas and Mary were married in St.
     Francis Church, Melbourne, on the 10th July 1852.   This was 20 months after Ned Kelly’s parents were
     married there and with whom they were friends.   Thomas and Mary’s son, John
     Henry, rode with Ned Kelly until Ned found himself in trouble.
        Thomas and Mary left Melbourne in a horse and wagon for the Tallangatta
     Station, owned by James Wilson, in 1855.   Prior to this they had lived on
     Welergang Run.   Their first child Charles was born on the Greg Greg Station and
     Mary Ann their daughter at Colac Colac Station.   They settled at a waterfall in Tallangatta
     Valley and built their first home, where there is a creek named the Matthews
     Creek.   In 1868 Thomas, Mary and family (now 9 children) moved to a spot on
     the Mitta River.   There was no township of Tallangatta at that time, only very
     thick bush.   Their nearest neighbours were the Moore family of the Wagra Run.
     They opened a public house, the first in the district, on Tallangatta Flat…….in
     those days there was a punt on the Mitta River nearly in front of the hotel, making
     it a good position for business, but flood waters forced them to move to higher
     ground.    Their son Joseph was born there with flood waters lapping around the
     hotel.  Later, the Victoria Hotel was built on that spot.   About 1873 they sold the
     hotel and shifted to Bullioh where he selected land and opened a hotel on the
     Corryong Road.   Later this hotel was shifted about ½ a mile away to the fork of
     the Tallangatta Valley Road and Corryong Road, so as to get more trade.   He
     named it ‘The Travellers Rest’.   In later years it became known as ‘The Rest’.
     Ned Kelly was a customer at the hotel one night.   Alice Matthews waitressed at
     the table, his horse was fed and watered before he journeyed on.   He was
     described as a perfect gentleman.
        Thomas and Mary owned 26 miles of land in 3 areas, 13 miles of Tallangatta
     Run and the rest divided between Corryong and near Tumbarumba.   They had 13
     children.   Mary was pregnant with Gideon her 13th child when Thomas was
     drowned in the flooded Tallangatta Creek at the age of 45 years.   He undertook to                                                       
     pilot a traveller across the flooded creek into the township.   There was no bridge
     and they were able to ford the creek at the Cascade.   After obtaining some
     supplies, Thomas impatient to reach home, decided on a shortcut and crossed the
     creek further up, but the current was too strong and horse and rider were swept
     away.   Next day searchers found his injured horse in James Wilson’s paddock but
     it was two days before Thomas’s body was found in the reeds in Toal’s Swamp,
     200 yards from where he attempted to cross.   This was on 1 Sept 1875 he died in leaving his wife with 12 children and 1 on the way. She managed to raise the kids by herself and also run a hotel as well until her death in 1900. Here is a list of Thomas and Mary's 13 Children
Joseph Matthews b1871-1958
John Henry Matthews b1860-1949
Charles Matthews b1853-1921
Thomas Matthews b1856-?
William Matthews b1858-?
George Matthews b1865-?
Gideon Simon Matthews b1875-? She was pregnant with him when thomas died.
Mary Ann Matthews b1854-1933
Alice Matthews b1862-?
Emily Matthews b1864-?
Elizabeth Matthews b1867-?
Catherine Matthews b1869-?
Matilda Matthews b1873-1955
Hope that helps and if you have any more questions you can contact me.