Author Topic: "Exiles" transported to Port Phillip 1845-1849  (Read 49945 times)

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: "Exiles" transported to Port Phillip 1845-1849
« Reply #81 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 14:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Amanda,

Last week I completed a fairly comprehensive Biography for Thomas MATTHEWS with the help of several descendants, which includes both a history of his childhood and photographs.

Please send me a PERSONAL MESSAGE with your email address so that I can forward a copy of the Biography and, if you have no objections, pass your name, your relationship as a Great Great Granddaughter and  email address to the descendants so that they can contact you and exchange possibly even later family details.

For the moment

Tony

Offline McGreevy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Saturday 02 October 10 05:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony

I wonder if would find this of any help.

Fate of the Artful dodger : Parkhurst boys transported to Australia and New Zealand, 1842-1852

by Paul Buddee

Sorry re read the thread and you already have this information.
Edward McGreevy of County Down Ireland
 Price,  Charters Towers
Margaret McKee County Tyrone Ireland
Newlands Sydney Wales

Offline alena

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Wednesday 02 February 11 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tony,
I am descended from Thomas Matthews per "Joseph Soames" & although I have a bit of information on his life in Aust. I know nothing
about his life prior to his confinement in Parkhurst. Be really grateful for any information you could send me.  Descended from his daughter
Alice, 1862-1952.

Alena

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Wednesday 02 February 11 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello Alena,

I have sent you a Personal Message with my email address.

Please reply and I shall let you have a copy of the Biography for Thomas MATTHEWS.

For now

Tony

Offline Lazarus

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Wednesday 02 February 11 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Was Henry Matthews also on Joseph Somes arrived Geelong 24 Sep 1847 ex Parkhurst,disposal as general servant to David Mathewson,Campaspe from same family as Thomas Matthews?

Rex
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline foxylady337

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 22:12 BST (UK) »
Francis Rushbrook (my great-great-grandfather) was one of the Parkhurst Boys, arriving at Geelong in September 1847.

My great-grandfather, Alexander Frederick Matthews, met and married Eliza Rushbrook (Frank's daughter) while visiting Australia on behalf of the Vestey family, and all but one of their seven children were born in Queensland.

He returned to Scotland after inheriting an estate from his uncle, David Frederick, who died in 1899 - a condition of the inheritance was that he must change his surname to Frederick, so he became Alexander Frederick Matthews-Frederick, and his children took that name too. My grandmother came back to Scotland with him, and this branch of the family has remained in Scotland since then.

Alexander sparked my father's interest in genealogy, and he spent much of his spare time building a family tree, which I have been extending since his death in 2002. A subset of the tree, which consists of Francis Rushbrook's descendants and their spouses, has 170 individuals in it, and I know I'm missing recently-added twigs on the tree!

The story told in the family was that Francis was studying law at Cambridge, but his father ran up huge gambling debts, and couldn't pay the fees. The young Francis then decided to seek his fortune in Australia. On going to Cambridge to investigate this part of the family, my father discovered that Frank's connection with the law arose from the wrong direction! He had been convicted of larceny (£10) at Cambridge Borough Court in 1844 at the age of 16.

I only discovered the Parkhurst connection today, and am somewhat relieved to find I'm not descended from a hardened criminal, but from a young offender who was trained as a baker in Parkhurst and who was presumably a free man when he arrived at Geelong (subject to his not returning to the UK for the rest of his sentence).

I'd rather not publish the whole tree here, but the following surnames feature in it:

Rushbrook, Matthews-Frederick, McLaughlan, Barnewall, Lynch, Curley, Dickinson, Robinson, Cattanach.

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 10:45 BST (UK) »
Hello,

The extract following is taken from the Parkhurst Prison Governor's Log for 1844 and describes some of Francis RUSHBROOK's escapades prior to his transportation:

Parent living in Cambridge.   Father, Jeremiah Rushbrook, is a Bailiff, he was formerly an Innkeeper in Cambridge and subsequently at Wisbeach where he failed.   Prisoner has one brother and four sisters.   He attended Mr Reveley’s school & others in Cambridge before his Father moved to Wisbeach and again after his return to Cambridge, learnt to read tolerably.   After he left school he was employed at a hosier’s shop as errand boy, lived there nearly 3 years, received 2/- a week.   Was employed to carry letters to the Post and sometimes cheated his employer by asking for pence to pay postage and keeping them for his own use, had been for some time in the habit of pilfering from the rooms of members of the University when he was sent there with parcelsI have a reasonable Biography for him, including family details in Australia, and would be more than happy to let you have a copy of the WORD document if you will confirm your email address ........I have sent you a Private Message with my address to help you.

My interest in Francis RUSHBROOK is purely academic in that he was one of the Parkhurst Boys I am researching for a PhD.

For the moment,

Tony

Offline foxylady337

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 13:27 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, Tony.

My access to your private message has been blocked - I think this is because I haven't put up enough messages on the forum.

Will this one count? I wonder...

Offline DouglasW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Monday 01 August 11 09:08 BST (UK) »
Message for Tony Cocks,

I am also researching Parkhurst exiles for a PhD project - in particular Thomas Chapman who arrive on the 'Maitland' in November 1846 - and some related matters.

Could you get in touch by email please - I have sent you a personal message with the email address.

Thanks

Doug Wilkie
Cosstick; Hamilton; Reeves; Gill; Wilkie; Matthews;