Author Topic: "Exiles" transported to Port Phillip 1845-1849  (Read 49952 times)

Offline Curlie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Exiles" transported to Port Phillip 1845-1849
« Reply #90 on: Wednesday 21 September 11 04:10 BST (UK) »
Hello I have just joined Roots and wish to reply about the exiles My husband rescearched Thomas Matthews and passed the information on to the family But I notice someone was interested in how the boys were trained in Parkhurst I have among my vast information a diary about a boy that was there I am willing to pass it on as I was given it to How can I do this Curlie

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Wednesday 21 September 11 04:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Curlie,

Welcome to Rootschat

The various people who have posted on this thread will receive notifications in their email that there is a new post.  I am sure that they will be along in the next little while to also welcome you and to ask further questions about the diary.

There's a Personal Message facility via RChat.  You can then write private messages and send them to the interested RChatters.  To use that PM facility you need to have made a minimum number of posts ...  I think it is 3. 

So just reply twice more on this thread .... eg "Hi"  or "Thanks"

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Wednesday 21 September 11 10:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Curlie,

I was given some extremely invaluable help last year by two descendants of Thomas MATTHEWS in compiling his Biography as part of my research for a PhD on Parkhurst Prison 1838-1864 and the reform of juvenile offenders.

Your mention of a "diary" maintained by one of these offenders is interesting in that all the prison records for that period were destroyed by fire except for the year 1844, of which I have copies.   Please let me know which particular boy and possibly we can take it from there.

For the moment,

Tony

PS:   MAJM: Thank you for your PM

Offline peejayOz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Seeking Matthews, Boyle, Smailes, Lowe
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Wednesday 21 September 11 23:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Curlie,
I am watching with interest, my wife is a descendant of Thomas Matthews ex Parkhurst Prison. Please keep me posted!
Hi Tony, I bet you are watching too!
Phil
Phil Smailes

Matthews   Boyle   Smailes  Lowe

Offline Curlie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Thursday 22 September 11 06:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Phil ... My husband was a descendant from William Matthews-and I think we were the first to research him ,started 1988 and was at a reunion in 1995? at the hall in Bullioh I know Carol and Malcom H.  I live in Brisbane and husband Ross died last year
I know of no other Matthews that came on the same ship.
I think Amanda would be a desendant of Ruby and I have a photo of Alice and Jack Rapsey Most my later information came from Carol and includes letters about the school Mary started and also to the Education Department about stating a public school
Yes I must still have stories about the prison and how the boys were trained will take me a while to find it but I would not have thrown it out Happy to pass on any information and photo copy
I am new to this site so how do I go about sending my e-mail etc Happy to meet you all Curlie

Offline Curlie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Saturday 24 September 11 07:23 BST (UK) »
Hi all
Message for Tony Cocks,

I am also researching Parkhurst exiles for a PhD project - in particular Thomas Chapman who arrive on the 'Maitland' in November 1846 - and some related matters.

Could you get in touch by email please - I have sent you a personal message with the email address.

Thanks

Doug Wilkie

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Sunday 18 March 12 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

John MOTHERWAY, born 1833 in Gloucester to Irish parents William and Catherine, was transported to Port Phillip aboard the "Thomas Arbuthnot".   He disembarked at Williamstown on 04/05/1847, disposal not known, and subsequently vanishes!!!

I have researched various BDM Indexes, TROVE, IGI etc. but the only MOTHERWAY entry uncovered was for a Mary Catherine born in Sydney sometime before 1890 (ex-IGI).

Any help appreciated.

BAC3

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Monday 19 March 12 03:44 GMT (UK) »
Victorian Government Gazette October 28th 1856
List of unclaimed letters at the GPO at Melbourne, NOTING the list contains only letters received by ship from England, Foreign Countries and neighbouring Colonies, it does NOT contain letters posted in any part of the Colony of Victoria. . 

Motherway, Margt.

Hope this helps somewhat  ;)

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline benwebboz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Friday 05 August 16 06:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony,
If you are still on this thread, I have just found out that my great great great grandfather is Francis Rushbrook!
Do you have his biography from your Phd available?
Kindest regards and thanks for your work,
Ben