Author Topic: Help needed ! with John LLOYD of Denbigh  (Read 2542 times)

Offline chris_1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Help needed ! with John LLOYD of Denbigh
« on: Thursday 28 September 06 17:05 BST (UK) »
Please help me to trace my ancestors further back. My research has ground to a halt  :(

I am trying to trace John LLOYD of Denbigh ( b 1725 - 1760) a Wheelwright and the father of Evan LLOYD a Joiner ( b 1780)

Evan died in March 1845 and lived in Post Office Lane, Denbigh

I would appreciate any help and advice in tracing both of Evan's parents

Many thanks

Chris
BENNETT, Acton, Staffs. DAVIES, Pwhelli, Wales. DODD, Bunbury, Northwich, Cheshire. Oldham, Lancs. FIELDING, Glossop, Derby. FOULKES, Denbigh. HAMSON, Leek, Staffs. HANNAFORD, Marlborough, Devon. HAYES, Woodbridge, Suffolk. HUTTON, Stapleton, Bristol. LLOYD, Denbigh,Wales. Collyhurst, Manchester. MILLER, Greenwich, Kent. PARKER, Sibsey, Lincolnshire. Manchester. REVITT, Manchester, and SYKES, Rastrick, Yorks, and Oldham.

Any census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed ! with John LLOYD of Denbigh
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 September 06 17:13 BST (UK) »
Hello Chris

There might be someone here who has access to the Denbigh Parish records but if not it would be worth your while going to the Clwyd Family History Site:

http://www.clwydfhs.org.uk/

On the top right there is a section with Parish Transcripts in. The Society had transcribed all the parishes to 1812 and sometimes beyond. These can be purchased at a very reasonable price. Details are given on the site.

They are a boon to anyone searching in our area as not many of the records are on the online IGI

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline chris_1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 September 06 18:06 BST (UK) »

Thanks for the information Gadget.  Unfortunately, the burial records for Denbigh only seem to go up to 1812 from the Clwydfhs site which I feel is a little too early.  :(

I dont know whether Evan LLOYD was born in the county (I couldn't find any record of his baptism in Denbigh from previous research) so maybe John was not married in the county either !

This is very tricky  ???

Regards

Chris

BENNETT, Acton, Staffs. DAVIES, Pwhelli, Wales. DODD, Bunbury, Northwich, Cheshire. Oldham, Lancs. FIELDING, Glossop, Derby. FOULKES, Denbigh. HAMSON, Leek, Staffs. HANNAFORD, Marlborough, Devon. HAYES, Woodbridge, Suffolk. HUTTON, Stapleton, Bristol. LLOYD, Denbigh,Wales. Collyhurst, Manchester. MILLER, Greenwich, Kent. PARKER, Sibsey, Lincolnshire. Manchester. REVITT, Manchester, and SYKES, Rastrick, Yorks, and Oldham.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 September 06 18:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris

A tricky one indeed. John Lloyds in our area are not that rare  :(

Have you checked your Evan on the 1841 Census - at least it would say born county or not. 

Where did you find his father's name?

I hope we can find them with the combined knowledge and resources we have on the Denbighshire board.

Gadget

PS - not sure what you mean about the transcripts - they would probably include Evan, born 1780 -ish
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 September 06 18:51 BST (UK) »
According to the 1841 Census, (HO107-1406-2) your Evan was born in Denbighshire and was aged 60 to 64.

Gadget

Offline chris_1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 September 06 22:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget

Yes, I have Evan and his wife Mary (nee JONES) on the 1841 census .

I had overlooked the b in county at the end of the page, having copied the rest of  the info down  :-[ Maybe the fact that I could find no record of his or his wife's Baptism in Denbigh threw me a bit !

Someone kindly looked up the marriage of Evan and Mary JONES for me and gave details of his father as John LLOYD, Wheelwright

Chris

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 September 06 23:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris

The only other thing that I can suggest apart from the CFH booklets (approx £6.00)  is to try to order in the Denbigh Bishop's Transcripts via an LDS Centre and labour through them in the hope of finding Evan's baptism 1776-81.

I don't have any ancestors in that part of the county at that time, so I don't have any resources.

I have bought masses of the transcripts though - on the flimsiest of evidence that an ancestor might just be there. Usually they have been.

I'll PM someone who might be able to help  ;)

Gadget

PS We might get some info for you by Tuesday/Wednesday next week - maybe earlier :)

Offline chris_1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 September 06 14:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks for taking the trouble to help me out Gadget  :)

I really appreciate your input as my research had definitely gone stale !

Chris

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 October 06 17:20 BST (UK) »
Having  looked for your Evan Lloyd in the Denbigh Parish Records as transcribed by Clwyd FHS,I'm afraid to say that there was no sign of his Baptism.He must have been Baptised in one of  the adjoining Parishes.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk