Author Topic: RILEY family of Flamborough & South Dalton COMPLETED  (Read 3391 times)

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
RILEY family of Flamborough & South Dalton COMPLETED
« on: Friday 29 September 06 03:34 BST (UK) »
Gidday everyone,

I’m searching for the RILEY family of Isaiah born abt 1778 possibly Cottingham and Ann CHAPMAN born Brandesburton. They married at Brandesburton in 1803 and had five children;

William Chapman bapt. 1809 Cottingham
Michael bapt. 1813 Burton Agnes
Thomas bapt. 1815 Burton Agnes
Isaiah bapt. 1819 Flamborough
George bapt. 1819 Flamborough

Ann Riley died at in March 1819 only two weeks after the births of twins Isaiah and George and their father remarried in 1820 to Elizabeth EDMOND at Filey. They must have returned to live at Flamborough as they had two children there.

Mary bapt. July 1821 Flamborough
Edmund bapt. 1823 Flamborough

From here I’m drawing a very long bow. IGI shows an Isaiah and Elizabeth RILEY whose children were all born at South Dalton. I presume all the children below may be from the same couple above but I’m not sure how to prove it. Any ideas welcomed.

Ann bapt. on 13 February 1825 South Dalton
John bapt. on 1 July 1827 South Dalton
Jane bapt. on 27 September 1829 South Dalton
Dinah bapt. on 20 November 1831 South Dalton
Johnson bapt. on 2 March 1834 South Dalton

Of Isaiah’s children, George settled in London and had two children, one of whom emigrated to New Zealand. Isaiah married Christiana Bradshaw at Driffield in 1840 and they appear in the 1841 Census for Hutton Cranswick as Isaiah Riley aged 20, a shopkeeper, and Anna Riley aged 25. They had at least two children, Isaiah Bradford who was born in 1842 and who died on 25 April 1847, and William who was born in 1843 at Hutton Cranswick and died on 18 May 1846. They are commemorated in a monumental inscription at Hutton Cranswick Cemetery.

“In memory of William son of Isaiah and Anna Riley who departed this life May 18th 1846 aged 3 years. Also of Isaiah Bradshaw their son who died April 23rd 1847 aged 5 years. But Jesus said suffer little children and forbid them not to come unto me for of such is the Kingdom of Heaven.”

The couple appears in the 1851 Census for Fosten, Driffield as Isaiah Riley aged 33, a grocer, and Anna aged 40.

Edmund appears in the 1841 Census for South Dalton aged 18, a farmer at ‘South Dalton Grange’ living with Hannah Riley aged 30, and his younger siblings Ann aged 15, Jane aged 10, Dinah aged 9 and Johnson aged 7. He appears in the 1851 Census for South Dalton as Edmund Riley aged 27 of ‘Kipling Cotes Farm’, “a farmer of 500 acres employing 3 labourers and 7 boys” married to Mary, born at Atherton, Lancashire. Amongst the large household is his younger sister, Dinah, ‘farmers daughter’ (sic) aged 19 born at South Dalton.

I’d love to hear from anyone with any connection to these individuals.

Regards, Tor
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL