Author Topic: London Fair newspaper clipping.  (Read 2026 times)

Offline zebra1974

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
London Fair newspaper clipping.
« on: Friday 29 September 06 13:30 BST (UK) »
My Mum has always told me that my Dad's side of the family were Romany Gypsies, I didn't quite believe it. 

I have been unable (until today) to find any info on Sarah A Squires, I knew nothing apart from her birth year (1867), even then there were a few differing accounts over the years of her true place of birth!! Anyway, today I have found out loads and I am so excited!! The information is all still a bit garbled in my head bt I will write it all up fully tonight.

Her parents were travellers/hawkers, in one census they lived in a caravan, but in 1861 census they had a fixed address with 2 servants! They seemed to maily be in Biggleswade, Ampthill, Maulden and it looks like they moved to Leicestershire between 1881 and 1891 census, Sarah Anne stayed here and married my G G Grandfather. One of her brother joined the fair as a cocoa nut something or other!!!

But this is really great, I was looking through some old photos and paperwork when I went to see my parents a few weeks back and there was a fabric newspaper clipping abut a fair of some sort (think it was 1850 something), there were all sorts of acts going on in the advertisement, it's just sunk it that they could've been doing something there or even that is where they met!! I presume they weren't romany gypsies but just fair/travellers etc, but I don't know enough as yet to say.

Does anybody know what that old fair in London was, I can remember it had Lady Godiva at it!!!

Isn't this all exciting!!
Edwards, Radford, Henfrey, Foster, Squires, Screaton, Roe