Author Topic: Robert Brown 1841 and 1901 Help Wanted Please  (Read 1248 times)

Offline vandab

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Robert Brown 1841 and 1901 Help Wanted Please
« on: Friday 29 September 06 13:58 BST (UK) »
Hi There,
I have just found my GGGrandfather was from Belfast, I have very little infomation on him though.He was born c1822. His name was Robert Brown.

He joined the 104th foot Regiment in 1843 and i wondered if anyone could look for him before that date, he was with them until 1864 but think he went to St Helena for a couple of years as he had children born there. My next sighting of the family is in 1871 when he was living at the Barracks at Sheerness but as a pensioner. I cant find the family after that and wondered if he went home to Belfast, hence a lookup request for 1901 if at all possible.
I would be very grateful for any help anyone can give me.
 Vanda :(
I'm researching both sides of my family so I'm looking for a lot of info hence a lot of names!!<br />My main interest at present is for LAWSON, Scotland   CRONK, Edenbridge Kent, Croydon.   LEIGHTON, Scotland.  BROWN Ireland and London, WARBURTON.Cheshire, Worcestershire and Canada PARTRIDGE

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Brown 1841 and 1901 Help Wanted Please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 August 07 18:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Vanda,

Have you looked for Robert on the 1901 Census on www.belfastfamilyhistory.com  ??? A street is required for a search on the hard copy of the census which will mean checking a long list of Browns in the 1901 Directory.

Christopher

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 August 07 18:46 BST (UK) »
Not sure if you are hoping to find Robert Brown in 1841 Census but the 1901 census is the first complete surviving census for all Ireland.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline vandab

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 August 07 18:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Thanks for trying to help me but i think i have an impossible job with this. The only way i found where he was from was via his Military records and that gives very little information, I haven't any idea of an address.
Why didn't i listen when i was a kid???

Vanda   :(

I'm researching both sides of my family so I'm looking for a lot of info hence a lot of names!!<br />My main interest at present is for LAWSON, Scotland   CRONK, Edenbridge Kent, Croydon.   LEIGHTON, Scotland.  BROWN Ireland and London, WARBURTON.Cheshire, Worcestershire and Canada PARTRIDGE

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 August 07 19:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Vanda,

You say you can't find the family. Do you have the names of Robert's wife and children ???

Christopher