Author Topic: Coal Trimmer  (Read 11544 times)

Offline denben

• RootsChat Member
  • Can't stop until I know everything!
    • View Profile
Re: Coal Trimmer
« Reply #9 on: Monday 02 October 06 01:00 BST (UK) »
Sadly I'm old enough to remember this!

Dockers were casual workers.  They turned up at seven in the morning and hoped to get chosen for a job.  If they didn't get chosen then they were said to have "blobbed".  They then turned up for the other call at eleven.  Sometimes they "blobbed" on this one as well.

Perhaps a "blob" because they got a zero next to their name on the list.

Researching BENNETTs of Worcester & COTTERELLs of Westbury-on-Trym.  JAMES of Cheltenham, Charlton Kings  & West Town, Shirehampton. FORDS of Chawleigh and Budleigh Salterton, Devon.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 02 October 06 07:32 BST (UK) »
Well I am glad to be educated about the blob - amazing that they could be semi-humorous about it, under the circumstances it must have been awful to be 'blobbed'!

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline steve100

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 02 October 06 09:37 BST (UK) »
Ian I saw the photos a book by Cliff Knight about Pill.Hes written three books and the photos were in one of the first two.The books are coloured red, blue and yellow each covering a different time span.I had the red and blue books from the library so they`re in one of those two.Hope this helps a little.

steve
Census Information Crown

Offline ian.h

• I have turned off all notification of new replies
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 02 October 06 15:25 BST (UK) »
hi steve, thanks for the info on the books by cliff knight i did read them a good few years ago and was fascinated and saddened by some of the stories in them about pill from 1805-1900.

thanks you den for clarifying about the blob/ blobbing info.

i only found out a  year ago that my  gr gr grandfather william anstice on my dad side of the family was a river pilot and he went on to be  the dockmaster down newport docks in the 1870ish .
 atb ian .h
borlase.cornwall-newport
christoe.cornwall
anstice.bristol-newport
hughes,newport
murphy ireland-newport
cullwick Birmingham-newport
smart -bristol
vaughan- hereford- newport
bennett-bristol-newport

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk