Author Topic: Need lookup for Marriage in Dundee  (Read 4189 times)

Offline anne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Need lookup for Marriage in Dundee
« on: Sunday 07 November 04 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone live or will be visiting Dundee in the near future,i have been desperatley trying to find the marriage of David Kennedy and Margaret Nicol,well not so much the marriage i want Davids fathers name and Davids age so i can guage his birth year.This is what i have.David Kennedy and Margaret Nicol were married at Mains and Strathmartine on 1st April 1834.Any help greatley appreciated
Ayrshire,Kennedy,Faulds,Cuthbert,Crawford,Young,Edgar,Bell
Dundee,Nicol,Cant,Kennedy,Jamison,
Dumfrieshire,Wilson,Maxwell,Lammie,Cowan,Young,

Offline capricorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Need lookup for Marriage in Dundee
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 November 04 22:19 GMT (UK) »
This is the most you would get from an OPR, marriage.
date of marriage, or date it was contracted; names of parties; place or parishes of residence.
If he died in Scotland, searching for his death cert. would give you his age and his parents' names, but only if known by the informant.

Liz
Census information Crown Copyright, from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline anne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 November 04 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liz,thankyou for your reply.Would i have to get his death certificate from Dundee,if so i maybe better put another request on for a death instead of a marriage,only problem is i dont know where he died or when.I have his wife on a census for Dundee living as head of family but down as married so i am presuming he was still alive and maybe working away somewhere,she was living in Cowgate Dundee at the time of the census and she died at Cowgate Dundee.Thankyou again.Anne.

Offline capricorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 November 04 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne,
               I take it you have Margaret's death cert, does it say widow or wife of David Kennedy? Would help to narrow his death If no-one is available to look up a death cert for you, you should be able to find it on Scotlandspeople.   I guess you have an idea of when he was born,  I got Margaret in the 1881 census living Cowgate, just as you said, so most probably David was born approx. 1800-1805, give or take a couple years, and died in Dundee.
Liz
Census information Crown Copyright, from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Fifer

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 November 04 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne

if you let me know what census you found his wife on ill check dundee census for him for you i have access to them all exept 1901 also have access to the scottish death index i can have a look for you and see what i can come up on thursday if you can get back to me with as much info as you can to narrow down the search.

Fifer :)
Barclay,baxter,Cook,Cowie,Dryburgh,Hughes,Morris,Murray,Simpson,Westwater from Fife Scotland.

Hatton,Roscoe,Smith,Ellison,Hardy,Harding,Holmes,Randles, Fishwick from Wirral Cheshire,

Barnett,Hempsall,Humphrey,Ward,Wrench  from Lincolnshire

Hartshorne,Wilson,Brass,Dodds,Hunter from Durham

Offline anne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 November 04 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fifer,i am so sorry i missed your request for Thursday,i work till 8pm on Wednesday night and so didnt see your offer till tonight.By the time i get in from work and get a shower then my tea its usually too late to go on the computer.Anyway Margaret Nicol,Davids wife was on the 1881 census for Cowgate Dundee,she was listed as married so i presumed that David was still alive and maybe working away.I dont have Margarets death certificate.A couple of years ago i hired a professional genealogist for my Kennedy side,he gave me her death date and address as Cowgate Dundee,i never got a birth date for either of them but i got their marriage date.Thankyou again Fifer for your reply.Anne.

Offline Fifer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 December 04 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne

i have checked the death index for david but havent come across a possibilty for him yet im afraid i also checked the 1891 census for him or there kids but couldnt find them either.So david could be living outside dundee with one of there kids or he has died between 1881-1891 .
Came across the marriage of David and MArgaret in 1 april 1834 Dundee possible births for david could be the following.

David Kennedy    C 20 July  1804 Dundee  thomas KEnnedy,Isabel Myles
David kennedy C 14 Aug 1810 Dundee to William Kennedy,MArgaret Gowans
David Kennedy  C 30 July 1811 Dundee  PArents John kennedy,Ann Burns

do you have them on any of the earlier census that would give us davids age if not let me know and ill try finding them on an earlier census.

Barclay,baxter,Cook,Cowie,Dryburgh,Hughes,Morris,Murray,Simpson,Westwater from Fife Scotland.

Hatton,Roscoe,Smith,Ellison,Hardy,Harding,Holmes,Randles, Fishwick from Wirral Cheshire,

Offline anne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 December 04 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Fifer thankyou so much for your help.I have no earlier census for this family.The only one i have is 1881 for 85 Cowgate Dundee with Margaret and her family.I did find a death of a girl named Ann the reading said she died on 15 August 1839 aged 4 years and 6 months,this could be Davids daughter,i also found the death of another girl named Ann this could be Davids sister,it reads Erected by William Kennedy and Margaret Gowans in memory of their daughter Ann who died 24th March 1819 aged 5 months.If this is Davids sister there is an awful big gap between David and Ann given that David was born 1810.Regarding scottish nameing patterns there are no Isabels Johns or Anns going back over.I am just at a loss as to know what to do next,i have spent so much money on pay per view sites and even a professional genealogist and i am still no further forward,i am beginning to wonder if his birth was maybe not registerd.If you can help in any way Fifer i will be very very grateful,i have searched for him for 3 years now and had given up.Thankyou again for your help Fifer.By the way i think William Kennedy and Margaret Gowans are his parents its a gut feeling,i dont know why.I just think there is an awful big gap between little Ann who died and David,thats if they are brother and sister.Anyway Fifer thankyou again for your help,you are very kind.Anne. :-*

Offline Fifer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 December 04 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne

It will be after the newyear i think before i can check the other census's i think as they close next tuesday untill the week starting the 3rd of January .

Will see what i can do after that