Author Topic: Newbie in Despair! Pencarreg Birth  (Read 3521 times)

Offline CaioResearcher

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Newbie in Despair! Pencarreg Birth
« on: Friday 29 September 06 22:55 BST (UK) »
Can SKS help please!!!!! I am trying to locate a baptismal record for the following.
Benjamin Davies born circa 1823.  I have found his death (awaiting certificate), marriage, but all I know from this and census 1851-1891 is that he was born Pencarreg and his father was Thomas Davies.  I wish I could find him  on 1841 to show both parents and siblings, but couldn't find.

I have contacted Archives Office but to no avail.  Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where to look now? Parishes/Chapels, I don't know, I despair.

Many thanks

Helen

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie in Despair! Pencarreg Birth
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 September 06 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen

Welcome aboard!

I am sure someone will have an idea about baptismal records (unless he was non-conformist & hence not baptised as a baby?)

Meanwhile, can you post the 1851 census you have for him and we will have a look for the 1841 census, which might help.  If we can identify some siblings, you might find their baptisms at least!

Were any of the family witnesses at the marriage?  What was Thomas' occupation?

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline CaioResearcher

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 September 06 15:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Arranroots,

and thank you for prompt reply and help.

To start his marriage : Benjamin Davies married
Mary Jones.  He put his place of residence as "Tynant" (I believe a farm or such); his father Thomas Davies, and rank/profession was Pencarreg??  They married at Parish Church in parish of Cayo, Carmarthen.  Witnesses Henry Harries and Thomas Davies??? Parish Church according to the rites and ceremonies of the Established Church (doesn't this mean Church of Wales??) on 17th November, 1843.

1851 Census details:

Living at a place called "Tynycoed".  I know this to be a place in Caio (possibly nearer Cwrt) and was the family home of his wife Mary Jones.

Mary Jones, head, married, 68, farmer's wife, Cayo
Benjamin Davies, son-in-law, 31, Pencarreg
Mary Davies, wife, 32, Cayo
Mary Davies, daughter, 6, Cayo (although miswritten as Mary)
Margaret Davies, daughter, 4, Cayo
Elizabeth Davies, daughter, 2, Cayo

I know Mary Jones's parents were Mary and Harry Jones and she had a brother David.  They lived at Tyncoed for some time.

I have searched Pencarreg and Cayo to try and find Benjamin with siblings and father THomas.  Don't know his mother.  I contacted Archives but they couldnt find any record of a birth circa 1820-22 for a Benjamin Davies.  I have found his death which was Mar Qtr 1900 aged 77 so it would appear he was born circa 1823 or thereabouts.

Thank you for your offer of help which is gratefullly received.  Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Helen

Offline CaioResearcher

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 September 06 15:40 BST (UK) »
Sorry I meant miswritten as 'Margaret', the eldest child was 'Mary'. 

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 September 06 17:26 BST (UK) »
Pencarreg census 1841 has 11 pages

HO107/1380/24 Folio 22  Page 6
reg district Lampeter  Sub-reg Llanybyther 

There is a Thomas Davies, ag lab, ref above, wife Margaret with family the youngest is Benjamin.  I cannot make out if he is 9 mths or years, know this is too young for yours but there maybe a family connection.

you could search the 11 pages (if you have not already) to see if  Ancestry have missed anything.

Also could not find Benjamin On IGI but this is a poss for father, you could also request the batch number from your local LDS and see if he Benjamin is there.

DAVID DAVIES  Christening:  12 SEP 1817   Pencarreg, Carmarthen

Father:  THOMAS DAVIES  Family
 Mother:  ELINOR     

Source Information:

Batch No, Dates,  Source Call No,  Type:  Printout Call No

C099631  1790 - 1875  0105200   Film  NONE    Sheet: 00

Good Luck

Cas

Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 September 06 17:59 BST (UK) »
just to reply to a small point from above. In 1843, the established church was still the Church of England. The Church in Wales didn't come into being until 1920. 
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 October 06 10:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen

What do you think?  Is this request complete?

Let us know if the cert helps at all.

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline CaioResearcher

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 October 06 12:35 BST (UK) »
Arranroots,

Thanks for the reply.  The death certificate is correct.  Dated 26th February, 1900 died aged 77, so birth circa 1823 is correct.  Unfortunately, doesn't give any more info!
Know it is correct because of place of death and son present.
Registration District Conwil Cayo, Llandovery.

If 1841 at time of his marriage is the last census details I have of him, how do I go further back only knowing Pencarreg as place of birth and father Thomas?  Pencarreg is very near Caio so is Llandybther, a last posting near to this place aswell?  Geography not a strong point, nor remembering all these Welsh place names!!  Thank you for your help, it is appreciated.

Regards

Helen

Offline Jan White

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 January 22 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Did you know there was also a house in Pencarreg called Tyncoed?
It was a farm cottage attached to Cilblaidd Farm which was owned by the Evans family about 1900.
In 1910 it was given to Margaret Jones born 1852, a long term employee at Cilblaid, and before that she had worked on the Evans Farm at Abergorlech.
Margaret pulled down the old 'Tyncoed' at Pencarreg and build a new house that she called Glenview.
Glenview was owned by my husbands family, 'The JONES', for 70 years.
It is still standing now.
We live in the next village to Pencarreg.
Jan