Author Topic: Occupation Tyer in Worsted weaver  (Read 2774 times)

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Occupation Tyer in Worsted weaver
« on: Saturday 30 September 06 08:17 BST (UK) »
Here's Edward Mitchell again in 1851 still a weaver but what sort ?
Halifax, Middle Street HO 107 / 2298 721 26

???

What is a Tyer in ???
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline brer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Shh! Be very, very quiet... I'm hunting forebears!
    • View Profile
Re: Occupation ??? Halifax 1851
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 September 06 09:53 BST (UK) »
Hmmm...it's something Worsted Weaver - can't make it out though - looks like the first word begins with "T" - I've checked out other pages around it but can't find anything to compare it with.

Sorry

~ Claire
BRADBURY, BAYLEY, WINTERBOTTOM, HOLMES, BRUCE, ROBINSON, ANDREW (All Cheshire/Lancashire area.)<br /><br />HOYLE (Yorkshire), GRAY (Bedford), HORLEY (Bedford), RENSHAW, WILDE, MEREDITH, BRIDGEHOUSE and SUGDEN (Cheshire/Lancashire)<br /><br />BATE, BATES, HEARSUM (Essex), HALLOWS, LANGFIELD, HAGUE, TRAVIS, COOPER, ALLEN, MACE (Cheshire, Lancashire)

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 September 06 11:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks Claire,
I'll settle for worsted weaver unless anyone can come up with the other word

Dave
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 September 06 11:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave  :)
I stuck the image in Photoshop and had a twiddle with the contrast, and I think it says "Tyer in for Worsted Weaver".  Now that doesn't make sense to me, but I don't know anything about textile factories, so it could be an occupation I've just not heard of.
Prue

Offline brer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Shh! Be very, very quiet... I'm hunting forebears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 September 06 12:46 BST (UK) »
I wondered if it was "Twister" but there's definitely a downward stroke for the second letter of the word beginning with "T".  I fiddled with the brightness and reversed the colours but not much difference I'm afraid....hmmm

~ Claire
BRADBURY, BAYLEY, WINTERBOTTOM, HOLMES, BRUCE, ROBINSON, ANDREW (All Cheshire/Lancashire area.)<br /><br />HOYLE (Yorkshire), GRAY (Bedford), HORLEY (Bedford), RENSHAW, WILDE, MEREDITH, BRIDGEHOUSE and SUGDEN (Cheshire/Lancashire)<br /><br />BATE, BATES, HEARSUM (Essex), HALLOWS, LANGFIELD, HAGUE, TRAVIS, COOPER, ALLEN, MACE (Cheshire, Lancashire)

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Occupation ??? Halifax 1851 Sorted Thanks
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 September 06 13:19 BST (UK) »
Edward was approaching 60 at this stage. He died before 1866 when his daughter put him down as a weaver (deceased) on her marriage cert. A Tyer-in sounds like the sort of job given to 'youngsters' so perhaps he was feeling his age ?
Anyway thanks very much for your assistance Claire and Prue

Dave

Offline Davy Boy

• RootsChat Member
  • David Wright Smith c1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 October 06 19:26 BST (UK) »
dave,
The Oxford English Dictionary gives a tie-dye, 'a method of producing textile patterns by tying parts of the fabric to shield it from the dye: tie-dye T shirts'
Could this be the missing word?
David
Smith-Kirkburton
Hill-Kirkburton
Lockwood-Kirkburton
Shaw-Kirkburton
Webster-Kirkburton
Turner-Northowram
Binns-Northowram
Cobb-Hemingbrough
Wilson-Leeds/Halifax

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 October 06 22:45 BST (UK) »
Hi David,
You could be right but I suspect that a Tyer in was either the person who sewed yarn into sacks or something to do with tieing the warp (weft ?) onto the loom.
Another alternative would be 'Buyer in' the person who acquired the wool for weaving.
I'll try another title on this thread to open it up a bit

Thanks.

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Occupation Tyer in Worsted weaver
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 November 06 19:46 GMT (UK) »
I'm pretty sure I've come across tyer in before - something to do with getting the warp on the loom.  You could try googling to find out about worsted weaving.