Author Topic: 1768 Births in Sheffield  (Read 3823 times)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1768 Births in Sheffield
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 01 October 06 12:19 BST (UK) »
Have you identified any of your Wragg family in the 1841/1851 censuses and if so can you post the details ? It would help to focus this a bit.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chartwell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 03 October 06 16:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.  I have now gone back over my research for the Wragg Family ( My Mothers side)And I have a gap between Samuel Wragg Born 1768 and married to a Mary Baker B 1756 and John Wragg Born 1810 and married to a Mary  Wragg B1812
I am stumped attempting to find the WRAGG for the 43 year gap I nowhave
I have traced a Issac Wragg B1752 who married an Ann Powell B1756 but this is as far back as I have been able to trace

Offline alnat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 03 October 06 21:17 BST (UK) »
Can you give the references for Census and GRO Birth refs for any of the Wraggs?

I've tried looking for the first Samuel who you say was born 1876 in Sheffield but can't find him on 1881/1891/1901 Census with a father Samuel & mother Mary. When did he marry?

GRO only has references for Samuels born Mar 1875 Ecclesall, Sep 1875 Sheffield or Jun 1879 Sheffield. Do you have his birth cert. to verify the 1876 info?

The only one I can find that has Samuel/Samuel is this in 1881 at Lambourne Sq, St Philips, Sheffield

Samuel Wragg 50 Scale cutter
Elizabeth 39
Jane 18
Sarah 14
Charles 11
Ellen 9
SAMUEL 5
George 3
Mary 3 months
Wellington/Dawley areas - Attwood, Podmore, Wall
Sheffield - Oxspring
Machester - Clarkson
London - Whiffen/in
Leics. - Wass

Offline Tuppie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Arnold Ridge Lee
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 14 October 06 21:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Chartwell.

How do you know that Isaac WRAGG is your ancestor if you have a 43 year gap? Have you jumped a couple of generation...?

I have a Samuel WRAGG born 1828 in Sheffield his father is also Samuel of Furnace Hill Cutler.

WRAGG is common name in Sheffield...and then you have the Derbyshire WRAGGS who came to Sheffield.

I haven't done any research on these for about 3 years as I know I need to sit in the archives and sort them out from the parish records which incidentally have not been filmed by the LDS...The then Dean of Sheffield would not allow it.
The St Peter & St Paul baptism index produced by S&DFHS list two John WRAGGs born in 1809 but none in 1810. This was the parish church of Sheffield and almost all baptisms took place here.

John son of Joshua and Ann WRAGG /occupation Grinder born 6 th Feb 1809 baptised 5th March 1809

John son of John & Charlotte WRAGG/ Occupation Grinder born 20th May 1809 and baptised 25th June 1809

Regards
Tuppie
LEE, ROSE, Mosborough/Eckington<br />TREWEEK, HARDWICK.Cornwall/Derbyshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
www.sheffieldindexers.com

Offline Helen O

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 17 October 06 19:12 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

If you find a Henry Wragg in your family tree, born Sheffield 1835, who married Sarah Elston born Sheffield 1836 (in 1881 they lived at 130 Martin Street, Sheffield and their children, that I know of, were Sarah, Annie, Kate, Charlotte, Thomas and Joseph born between 1861 and 1878 ).  I have some fascinating family history documents relating to their family and the Sheffield Flood.

Let me know if you find a connection. 

Regards, Helen.