Author Topic: Charter master  (Read 1170 times)

Offline pnoenix

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Charter master
« on: Saturday 30 September 06 17:30 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me what a charter master is?   I have finally found a marriage I have been searching for for ages, and eagerly awaited the certificate, only to find the copy is really difficult to read.  I think it says that the bride's father's profession is Charter Master.

It sounds like something to do with boats or sailing, but they lived in Dawley, Shropshire, so unlikely I would have thought.

Thanks,
Diane

Offline ricky1

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
Re: Charter master
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 September 06 17:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Diane
Could it be a Chartmaster

Chartmaster  Negotiated mining contracts and supplied the labour 

ricky
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 September 06 23:18 BST (UK) »
was also the man in charge of a butty in an underground coal mine - a butty being an area of the coal face worked by several men. I wont commit myself here but I think it dates back to when the pillar and stall system of mining was more common, pre longwall.
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline pnoenix

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 October 06 18:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for replying.  You are probably right and it also helps to clarify the right person on one of the censuses because it says coal miner.

Thanks again,
Diane