Author Topic: 1901 Census Looking for Nellie Kellett  (Read 4274 times)

Offline mmjones

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
1901 Census Looking for Nellie Kellett
« on: Saturday 30 September 06 21:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Can anyone help? I am trying to find Nellie Kellett who married John Kellett in Hull, East Riding Yorkshire 1898. On the official 1901 census site neither of them are to be found with that spelling. I tried alternative spellings of Kellett but might have missed some possible variations. Nellie was born in Lancashire, Manchester in 1866. 

Lynnwin   
Lancashire: RICKABY,GASKILL Yorkshire:SIMPSON,RICKABY,WOMERSLEY/WALMSLEY
Cambridgeshire, Whittlesea: WINTERTON,UPTON,CLARKE,WESTON,GREEN,SARGEANT/SARGENT
Ireland, Ulster, Antrim, Ballymena & Ballymoney: MCGARRY,ARMSTRONG,TAYLOR,WALLACE
Wales,Carmathenshire:JONES,REES, LEWIS, JOHN, WILLIAM, WILLIAMS, HOWELLS/HOWELL

Offline katherinem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 Census Looking for Nellie Kellett
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 November 06 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lynnwin,

Are you sure that these two married?  I ask as I had a look on FreeBMD and in 1898 in the reg distr of Hull there are on the same ref the following:
John Kellett
Nellie Gaskill
William Henry Ogier
Lillian Maynard Wood
On www.yorkshirebmd.org.uk, it pairs up John Kellett with Lillian Maynard Wood and Nellie Gaskell with William Henry Ogier.
That said, I had a look on the 1901 for William and Nellie, and didn't find them but found a possible for John and Lillian M Kellett (born Hull), living in Newcastle upon Tyne.
Before I looked any further, I thought it wise to check as to whom you are looking for.

Kath
Bladen (Tipton, & Yorks), Teece, Cooke(Coalville), Stott (Staffs), Carr, Armitage, Henrickson, Lisle (Yorks), Pailing, Stott, Leach, Davies (Llanasa), Taylor, McDonald, Garry, Brackenbury, Brand, Rewston
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mmjones

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 November 06 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kath,

As you can tell I am grabbing at straws at this point trying to find who my great aunt Nellie Gaskill married. I seem to recall on the 1891 census she is Nelly age 16 and living with her parents in Chorlton on Medlock. She was born in Manchester Lancashire. If she married it was probably somewhere in Lancashire but I don't find any marriages that coincide with 1901. Ogier might be a possible as either she or one of her sisters is rumored to have lived in Yorkshire in the early 1900's. Ogier might have a variation with a different spelling perhaps on the 1901? Nel*Og* maybe? Used to beable to look for wild cards on the official 1901 census site but they don't have that option anymore,most unfortunately.

Regards, 
Lynn
Lancashire: RICKABY,GASKILL Yorkshire:SIMPSON,RICKABY,WOMERSLEY/WALMSLEY
Cambridgeshire, Whittlesea: WINTERTON,UPTON,CLARKE,WESTON,GREEN,SARGEANT/SARGENT
Ireland, Ulster, Antrim, Ballymena & Ballymoney: MCGARRY,ARMSTRONG,TAYLOR,WALLACE
Wales,Carmathenshire:JONES,REES, LEWIS, JOHN, WILLIAM, WILLIAMS, HOWELLS/HOWELL

Offline katherinem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 November 06 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lynn,

I am afraid, you are not making this easy ???  If Nelly was a 16 year old on the 1891 census, then her birth year must be c1875, not 1866 as you have stated.  Also, if I have found the correct Nellie/Nelly, she was in Chorlton on Medlock on the 1881 and in 1891 she was in Poulton (parents John & Edna Gaskill).

Anyway if it was your Nellie that married William Henry Ogier, there is a death reg for that name in 1899 - registration district Hull, he had a birth year of 1875.  So Nellie was widowed a year after her marriage :'(

Somebody else might have better luck, finding her on the 1901.

Kath
Bladen (Tipton, & Yorks), Teece, Cooke(Coalville), Stott (Staffs), Carr, Armitage, Henrickson, Lisle (Yorks), Pailing, Stott, Leach, Davies (Llanasa), Taylor, McDonald, Garry, Brackenbury, Brand, Rewston
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 November 06 11:00 GMT (UK) »
She may have remarried after being widowed - a Nellie Ogier married at Bury Mar 1900 to John Eastham or Arthur Higham (Bury 8c 691).

Anna
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 November 06 11:05 GMT (UK) »
A married couple, John and Nellie Eastham, were living at 2 Percy St, North Bury in the 1901 census - he 31, engineer & millwright, b Bury; she 26, b Manchester. Nobody else was in the household.

RG13/3640 folio 21 p 34

HTH

Anna
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)