Author Topic: 10 & 12 Symons Street Belfast  (Read 11796 times)

Offline Wendl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Shaking the Irish Family Tree from Canada
    • View Profile
Re: 10 & 12 Symons Street Belfast
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 June 12 19:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Kinnabalu365,

My only connection is through the fact that Letitia's brother Charles married into my family....It's DollHeartCandy you would need to speak with.  Hopefully she will be watching this thread.

All the best
Wendy
Barrie/Barry-Forfar
Broun/Brown-Kirriemuir, Forfar, Angus
Carr-Belfast
Close -Belfast, Antrim and Down, Mageraghall; Ontario, Canada 
Crowe- Belfast
Gardiner/Gardner-Belfast, Scotland
Hennion- USA
Hedley- Belfast
Lawlor-Belfast, Down: Ontario, Canada
McPherson-Esquising, Ontario
McKernan-Australia
Ramsay-Kirriemuir,Scotland
Thompson-Derry; Ontario-Canada
Walker- Kirriemuir,Forfar,Dundee Scotland
Wilkinson-Belfast

Offline kinnabalu365

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 09 June 12 21:09 BST (UK) »

Hi Wendy
Thanks for the message. Yes I do hope that she reads this as I do not know how to contact her directly.
By the way, you may find the family tree found at the link below of interest.

http://www.myheritage.com/site-family-tree-78698041/wilkinson?familyTreeID=2&rootIndividualID=2000005

Offline Wendl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Shaking the Irish Family Tree from Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 June 12 21:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Again....

Thanks, yes I have a link for that tree my distant Cousin Eleanor is the owner....Good luck with contacting DollHeartCandy.

All the best
Wendy
Barrie/Barry-Forfar
Broun/Brown-Kirriemuir, Forfar, Angus
Carr-Belfast
Close -Belfast, Antrim and Down, Mageraghall; Ontario, Canada 
Crowe- Belfast
Gardiner/Gardner-Belfast, Scotland
Hennion- USA
Hedley- Belfast
Lawlor-Belfast, Down: Ontario, Canada
McPherson-Esquising, Ontario
McKernan-Australia
Ramsay-Kirriemuir,Scotland
Thompson-Derry; Ontario-Canada
Walker- Kirriemuir,Forfar,Dundee Scotland
Wilkinson-Belfast

Offline LJBeastie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 01 May 15 13:18 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,

I'm very interested in anything you can tell me about the Mulgraves.

My Great-Grandmother was Annie Mulgrave (born 1880) who I believe was a sister of Charles.

She married Charles McAlister.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

LJ
Ireland - Beattie, McAlister, O'Neill, Smyth, Mulgrave

Suffolk - Farrant, Mitchell, Devereux, Nunn, Canham

Offline kinnabalu365

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 01 May 15 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hello LJ
I do not know how much you already know but here goes. If you can add or correct any of this please let me know as it is still a work in progress.
Lucas Mulgrave/Mulgrew  who lived in Armagh 1799 -1875 was the father of John Mulgrave 1841-1895 who moved to Belfast to work in the linen industry where he met and married Anne O'Connor in St Malachys Belfast Nov 18th 1868. One of the witnesses was Mary O'Connor (Anne's mother I think). They lived in Wellington St Belfast  Children included Charles, Francis ( died young), Annie ( 1878) your g -g grandmother, John and Arthur (my grandfather). Annie had a son Robert out of wedlock in 1905 before marrying (on September 4th 1907 in Trinity Church of Ireland Belfast), Charles McAlister who brought up Robert as his own son. He lived in 266 Old Lodge Road at the time they married In addition to this they had six other children: William-John, Sarah, Mary, Martha, Margaret and Charles.
Here the trail goes cold for me and I would love to know anything else you could add.
kind regards
John

Offline LJBeastie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 01 May 15 18:54 BST (UK) »
Hello John,

Thanks for all the information! There's a lot there that I've never heard (particularly the fact the Annie had an illegitimate child! You learn something new every day!) The only thing I can add is that Charles and Annie had one more child - a daughter called Agnes. I know of a Frank but that could be Charles Jnr's second name.

Thanks again for all your help, if I find anything more I'll get in touch :)

Kind regards,

LJ

Offline LJBeastie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 03 January 16 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I thought I'd add a little snippet I've found out about Lucas Mulgrave/Mulgrew. He and Michael Mulgrew (a brother maybe?) are listed in Griffith's Valuation in Keady, Armagh:

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=doNameSearch&Submit.x=0&Submit.y=0&familyname=mulgrew&firstname=First+Name&baronyname=&countyname=&unionname=&parishname=

However, it seems to have gone wrong for Lucas as in 1864 he's mentioned in the Landed Estates Court Rentals and I found a small newspaper piece from the same year about him being arrested and bankrupt :(

According to the newspaper he was a farmer and market toll collector for Keady. The place name Crossdened was also mentioned.

Hope that's useful to you.

Kind regards,

LJ

Offline anneje

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 31 December 16 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am researching the McAllister family of Belfast. My grandfather was Matthew McAllister, born 1894 in Belfast. His parents' marriage certificate lists his father as Robert James McAllister, son of William John McAllister, a blacksmith.  Matthew's father, Robert James McAllister, left shortly after the marriage in 1894 and we don't know anything about him or his family.

Thanks to a member of the website Belfast Forum, I'm aware of records showing a marriage for William John McAllister (son of Charles McAlister)  to Sarah O'Hara in 1865, and births/christenings of the following children--Agnes in 1866; Robert James in 1868, Charlotte in 1872, Martha Ann in 1874.  In addition, there is a marriage record for Charles McAlister (d.o.b. unknown, parents William John and Sarah O'Hara) who married Annie Mulgrave in 1907. 

There is also a record of a death for a William John McAlister of 16 Gloucester Streem Belfast on March 26, 1911 but I don't know if this is the same William John McAlister/McAllister who was married to Sarah O'Hara. 

I am very interested in finding out more about my grandfather's family.  If anyone has any additional information about the family of William John McAllister and Sarah O'Hara that could help me in my search, I would be very grateful.  Thank you.

Nancy

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 31 December 16 19:18 GMT (UK) »
William John McAlister who died Gloucester St was a school master according to PRONI wills
http://apps.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar_IE/WillsSearch.aspx

his death cert gives a completely different address  and that he was a bachelor aged 45 from 6 Adela Street,Belfast
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1911/05398/4507593.pdf