Author Topic: maiden name on death certificate?  (Read 12641 times)

Offline RosBr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
maiden name on death certificate?
« on: Monday 02 October 06 11:54 BST (UK) »
I'd like to know if married women's maiden names appear on death certificates? I'm trying to find out when my great-grandmother died (it would have been between 1901 and about 1940.)

Thanks, RosBr

[apologies if this is a duplicate - I'm not sure if Ii succeeded in posting this previously]

Offline bolton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: maiden name on death certificate?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 October 06 12:03 BST (UK) »
Hi
I would also like to know the answer to this question.
It would be a great help to me in finding out about
my gr great grandmother.
Please could you let me know if you get any answers.
Kind regards Christine.
This information is crown copyright, from
"http://www.national archives.gov.uk"

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 October 06 12:07 BST (UK) »
It wasnt a requirement - but its exceptions that prove the rule !

This will give you the Official position ..

http://home.clara.net/dixons/Certificates/deaths.htm
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline the happy granny

• RootsChat Senior
  • Brain addled?..........mine too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 October 06 12:21 BST (UK) »
Oh I wish!!!!
It would break down the brick wall that has been in my way for 10 years, preventing me from researching one branch of my tree  :(
Gourlay,Peat,Porter,Smith,Kirk, from Ceres,Cupar,Kennoway,Fife<br />Coley,from Barcombe,Sussex<br />Cozens from Kingston Russel,Symonds from Symondsbury,Dorset<br />Catchpole,from Norfolk,London (Fulham)<br />Lock/e,from Somerset and London (Pimlico) Everett from Portsmouth and Alvechurch,Worcester<br />Carr/Wandes....Hampshire<br />Spicer,Fry,Fosher,Coulter,Burridge,Brewster,Hancock, Lotter from Kent and London Borders<br />Holloway from Sussex

Offline Burrow Digger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 October 06 20:09 BST (UK) »

The best way to find someone's maiden name is to get the marriage certificates for her children. :)

That is after 1837. Before 1837 it becomes a little tricker. :)

BD
BURROW, BICKHAM, EVANS, SULLEY, STONE - Devon
STEPHENS, MALLET, ADAMS - Cornwall
HANCOCK , BUSSON - Somerset
MCCALLUM, MCDIARMID, MCNEILL - Argyle, Scotland
WALLS, SUTHERLAND, SIMPSON - Orkney, Scotland
FAIRBAIRN - Fife, Scotland
THOMPSON - Aberdeen, Scotland

Offline the happy granny

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 October 06 20:32 BST (UK) »
My grandmothers birth appears not to have been registered in 1883..........nor her parents marriage..........and my grandmother was an only child!! ::)

Only her fathers name is on her marriage certificate .............one day I will find her birth............but it won't be soon!!!
Gourlay,Peat,Porter,Smith,Kirk, from Ceres,Cupar,Kennoway,Fife<br />Coley,from Barcombe,Sussex<br />Cozens from Kingston Russel,Symonds from Symondsbury,Dorset<br />Catchpole,from Norfolk,London (Fulham)<br />Lock/e,from Somerset and London (Pimlico) Everett from Portsmouth and Alvechurch,Worcester<br />Carr/Wandes....Hampshire<br />Spicer,Fry,Fosher,Coulter,Burridge,Brewster,Hancock, Lotter from Kent and London Borders<br />Holloway from Sussex

Offline bolton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 October 06 20:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Happy Granny!

I have had some problems with my family tree. Often not known who the parents were. But after lots and lots of searching. Found most of them in the end.
But this one Gr Gr Great grandmother is the most difficult one so far. I have their sons marriage cert: but it only gives his fathers name.I have been to the records office but no luck. I looked under all the places I know they lived at. But they must have married some where else..
Good luck with your granny's birth cert:
Hope you if it soon.
Kind regards Christine

Offline the happy granny

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 October 06 21:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks Christine, but I don't hold out much hope. Have been thru the whole of the 1880's for this particular person....parish records and GRO.............nothing.
At one time last year I thought of putting it out as a challenge to Rootschat!!

This year I have been ill and have had to have a 6 month break from Rootschat  :o and family history ..........but I am now up and running again so hopefully there will be just a small piece of info that will give me the break I'm looking for!!!   ;D

keep smiling too
Sue

Offline bolton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 October 06 16:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Happy Granny
Sorry to hear you been ill.
Hope you are now recovered.
I see that you have some folks from Dorset. All my grandmother's folks came from there on my Mother side of the family. Cranborne Dorset.
I also saw you have some Lock's from Somerset!
One of my brother-in-laws is a Lock.
Why don't you ask rootschat and see if they came find your Grandmother bapt.
Al least you know her name and her parents names.

I only know the the lady I am looking for was called Priscilla and that she was born Seend Cleeve Wiltshire.
Sometime about 1781.
She married ?? George Gray born about 1781.

And although she has been found with George Gray and some of their children in the census 1841.
Also in the next census 1851 living with her daughter Rebecca Gray born 1798 by then Priscilla was widow working as a lockgate keeper at Bradford -on-Avon.
I would love to find out more about her and just wonder if her parents were lockgate keepers at Seend Cleeve.
But after trying to read the records at the records office which are so difficult to read.
I may have to give up on her.
Maybe one day some of her other childrens descendents will find me and tell me all I want to know.
 Happy hunting.
Kind regards Christine