Author Topic: 1861 Census Look up - Yeadon  (Read 2531 times)

Offline Marsden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1861 Census Look up - Yeadon
« on: Monday 08 November 04 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Would it be possible to check for a George(Preston) Starkey in Yeadon possibly High St.

We are banging our heads against the wall with this man - did he have a daughter Annie/Ann/Florence or was it the other plain George with the Daughter - who married Solomon all these questions

Fingers crossed that someone can help solve this problem - please

G,night from a cool rainy Perth

Marsden
Starkey (Yeadon, Shipley) Dolan (Bradford) Marsden (Leeds, Bradford) Mitchell (Bradford) Murgatroyd (Yeadon)  Chippendale (Yeadon)  Easy (Bradford)  Rawnsley (Yeadon)  Cowgill (Yeadon)

Offline JJdownunder

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 Census Look up - Yeadon
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 November 04 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marsden
Just checked my discs
Starkey Building  Yeadon  1861

George P Starkey  H woolen cloth weaver bn Yeadon
Martha                  W  Mar 30             bn  Barkenshaw
Ann                       dau          9 scholar  bn    Yeadon
Wm Ambret           son      3                   bn   Yeadon
Eleanor                  dau       1                 bn   Yeadon

Plain George and Amelia  only had sons listed

Hope this helps ,I also have 5 Books on the district and I know there is ref to the families you are researching will check later when I have more time and let you know
JJdownunder
All census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lawson,Houlden,Robinson,Cooper,Farrar,Hunter,Wilson, (in yeadon rawdon guiseley) Lofthouse,Gill, (in burley in wharfedale,langcliffe,hampsthwaite) Gray (in aberford) Wetherill (in Harewood) Elliott,Hudson(in gislingham suffolk) Worm(e),Holmes (in hainford norfolk)

Offline Marsden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 November 04 06:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Many thanks for that - I sat all night trying to work this out.    You said you had found a "plain George"  I have not been able to find anything on him since the 1851 census all I know is that according to his Fathers will (1870's) he was in Queensland!!  No idea if he went back or stayed.

Any info you can pass on would be fantastic as I have so many unanswered questions with them.  All the Rellies I have found all seem to say that the Family was never spoken of.

Thanks again,

Marsden
Rainy stormy Perth
Starkey (Yeadon, Shipley) Dolan (Bradford) Marsden (Leeds, Bradford) Mitchell (Bradford) Murgatroyd (Yeadon)  Chippendale (Yeadon)  Easy (Bradford)  Rawnsley (Yeadon)  Cowgill (Yeadon)

Offline JJdownunder

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 November 04 06:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

Kirk Lane Yeadon

George Starkey  H  35 Ag Lab Dealer Cattle bn Yeadon
Amelia  A     "       W  38             bn Elston  Cornwall
Edward  R    "      son  8      schl  bn Yeadon
Fred   (? )     "      son  7        "     bn Yeadon
Walter  B      "      son  3              bn Yeadon

I will check 1871 also and get back to you

JJdownunder

Lawson,Houlden,Robinson,Cooper,Farrar,Hunter,Wilson, (in yeadon rawdon guiseley) Lofthouse,Gill, (in burley in wharfedale,langcliffe,hampsthwaite) Gray (in aberford) Wetherill (in Harewood) Elliott,Hudson(in gislingham suffolk) Worm(e),Holmes (in hainford norfolk)

Offline JJdownunder

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 November 04 09:15 GMT (UK) »
1871 Well Hill  Yeadon

George Preston Starkey Head Mar 45   Cloth weaver    woolen             bn Yeadon

Martha              wife  40    Cloth burler  bn Tong(e?)
William               son  13    scholar         bn  Yeadon
Ellen                   dau  11        "              bn  Yeadon

No other Georges found in Yeadon

JJdownunder

Offline Marsden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 November 04 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thank you so much for that info - at last some questions answered and hopefully enough new info to answer some others.  George living on Kirk Lane,  thats where his Father lived,  William Starkey and it seems they were there a good few years.  Hopeully now with the Children of George and Amelia I can see if they stayed in Australia or went back to the UK.

Thanks again.

Marsden

Offline JJdownunder

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 November 04 12:06 GMT (UK) »
William and Hannah Starkey and Dinah J Brown Servant were living next door in 1861 if this is your William then there is a little bit written  about him and a photo in the books I was telling you about .He was a wesleyan preacher and cloth merchant is this correct ?and it states he died march 21 1879.

JJdownunder

Offline Marsden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 November 04 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Yep - Your right

He built a mill on Kirk Lane to house his Perpetual Motion theory - a wheel inside a wheel but he could not get anyone to build it for him so the mill went unused until it was bought by James Ives after Williams death.  The original stone gate posts are still on Kirk Lane and I drove up there when I was over in May.  He looks a bit scary in the photo I have seen of him,  that was in a Yeadon Book.  I checked the 81,91 and 01 census and I could find no mention of "Plain" George or his Children so it looks like they stayed in Australia.  William states in his will "George, my Son who is currently in Queensland"  William must have died while George was away and in the will the house and contents are left to the Housekeeper until his son returns but she has use for the rest of her life.  There was a grave for William and his Family but that has since been torn down and a car park is there now ??? ???

I'll have to start looking to see if I can find the Starkey line over here now  but at least now I know they did stay.

Thanks again - thats my Starkey History lecture over  :D

G'night
Marsden

Offline Marsden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 11 November 04 04:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thought I'd update you I found the two Starkey Brothers they fought in the Boer War.  Edward Robinson was invalided back to England 09.06.00 but he is still not in the 1901 census so maybe he either didn't make it home or he died before the census.  They were both enlisted in Queensland so they obviously stayed there.

I'll have to do some more digging and see if I can find anything else.

Marsden