Author Topic: 1871 Census lost pages  (Read 2837 times)

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1871 Census lost pages
« on: Thursday 05 October 06 08:25 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have a transcript of the 1871 census for Worcestershire, St John the Baptist, District 18,  Folio 53 page 6, and Folio 54 page 7. This page is missing from ancestry.com. The entries relate to Blakebrook House and Blakebrook Farm, Kidderminster.

Thanks

David.
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 Census lost pages
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 October 06 08:48 BST (UK) »
Yes, it looks like Schedule 18 is missing - otherwise the schedule #s are contiguous.

I know of one other site with online images .... wait one ...
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 October 06 09:08 BST (UK) »
OK - the pages are there on another site, but totally BLANK .... more interesting is that the District runs on a lot further - to Page 36, Folio 68, Schedule 165 ... ? Before Dist 19 starts ...

I jumped thru it quickly, but couldnt see any insertions for the missing Schedule 18.

Let me know if you want source info by PM

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 October 06 09:30 BST (UK) »
Hi ScRoppers

Thanks for the offer. I don't think it's important - I found the person I was looking for, my ggg grandmother Martha Stonyer, but I was curious as to who else was living at the same address. She was a widow and l wondered if she might have been living with a relative. She had several children, so she may have been living with or close to a married daughter. There's only one name on the page before her's, so I tried looking at the previous one, and found it missing. I found her in 1861 in Chelmarsh, where she was born and she lived on her own. I can't find her at all in 1881, and I know she died in 1884 at Wombourne in Staffordshire, so she could be there somewhere, bit her surname is subject to an enormous variety of mis-spellings and transcription errors and difficult to trace at times.

It's not the first time this has happened on ancestry - I've "found" whole districts missing before, although luckily there were transcripts elsewhere.

If you can turn up anything, I'd be interested to know, but please don't spend too much time on it.

Regards

David
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.