Author Topic: Gilford family, Delting. Links to Gilbertson  (Read 3481 times)

Offline Candolim_Imp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Gilford family, Delting. Links to Gilbertson
« on: Thursday 05 October 06 13:48 BST (UK) »
I don't know for certain that this is my family, but I believe this is the most likely place of origin of my Guildford family (spelled Gilford in IGI for Delting, also occasionally known as Guilford).

My GGG grandfather, John Guildford, was in Liverpool in 1841, listed as born in Scotland 1811-1816. He was a labourer at the time, but described as book keeper by the time of his marriage to Jane Clarkson in 1846. His father was labourer, Samuel Guildford. His marriage witness was James Gilbertson, who I believe was the same James Gilbertson, born Scotland c1808, Book Keeper, living round the corner from John in 1841.

John died in 1841, just before the census, leaving Jane and 3 children, so I can't find anything more specific on him, such as precise birthplace or age.

The place in Scotland with the most Gilford matches is Delting in Shetland, where there is also a large cluster of Gilbertsons (though, granted, there are probably many elsewhere as well).

I would use Scotland's people to try to trace him, but there are very few surname matches for them, and I feel I would be wasting the pay-per-view cost if I find no match for him.

I have found a Samuel Gilford in Carlisle, Cumberland who was from Scotland aged 75 in 1861. He was with wife, mary, and I believe these could be John's parents.

There are also a few Gilfords/Guilfords elsewhere in England, born in Scotland, who may be brothers to John, icluding James in the Royal Engineers, Peter in the Colchester Infantry Barracks and William in the Royal Navy.

Any help would be very gratefully recieved
Hodge; Southport, Lancs
Pugh; Salop, Liverpool
Hulm; Bootle, Southport
Guildford; Liverpool
Clausen; Denmark, Liverpool
Yapp/Yopp; Salop
Marshall, Rimmer, Howard, Johnson, Jackson; Southport
Bury; Heref, Herts
Dady; Norfolk, Southport
Colebourne; Liverpool
Small; Barbados, Liverpool