Author Topic: 1871 Census Norwich Norfolk  (Read 1921 times)

Offline hurracane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1871 Census Norwich Norfolk
« on: Monday 08 November 04 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi there , any one with access to the 1871 census for Norwich in Norfolk ? my first request was for the 1861 census but found out that great Grandfather Henry Durrant was not on the 1861 census for Norwich , he must have been else where !, need to confirm the info I have is correct it came from a lady in Australia , so need to confirm that Henry Durrant age 32, wife Elizabeth 28, daughter Mary 9, son Henry 5, son Wiliam 3 and daughter Eleanor 1, were all living at the given address which is this St Augustines walls private homes  it says page 21 (65)sch.no.145].
Not heard of St Augustines walls private homes !, want to check this info out then I might be able to see where Elizabeth was born , and that might give me a clue as to where they were married , if indeed they did !.
Have found a marriage fro a Henry Durrant in 1861, but in the Erpingham disrict , which just could be him ? as of course he was not in Norwich when the 1861 census was done , so before I go for the certicficate need to know a bit more from the 1871 census .
If any one can help I would be delighted ! thanks Janet   :)

Offline grannyanna

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 Census Norwich Norfolk
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 November 04 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janet,
              Still looking for the henry you discribed,but you gave no birthdate. However I did find in
  Army Barracks ,Preston,Sussex......
Henry Durrant 33 Married Soldier Born Norfolk,Norwich.
Isabella 24  wife born England ( No county stated)
Harry 1     Born England.

Any help? If not let me know a little more and I will check 1871,1891,or 1901 for you

Regards Anna
butler,kirkpatrick,lenny,bathe,baxter,beveridge,hennel,morris,taylor,kirk,hunter,penman,glen,martin

Offline hurracane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 November 04 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi there Anna , thanks ! , Henry was born in Norwich in 1839 , and I have info that shows him on the 1871 cenus , but that was from Australia , need to get it confirmed , to see where his wife was born , need a madien name for her from some where ? I do have some info on him , but not his marriage or death , and I know he moved on to a nother Elizabeth in 1881 , that was  Elizabeth Raby , my great grandmother !, they had lots of children together but never married , he was a bit of a lad !.
I contacted a lady in Sept this year who had done the Durrants in Norwich , but not my lot , but in doing so she had collected a bit of info on other ones , and our Henry was one of them , but some one said I should try and get it checked out .
Iam sure Iwill get there in the end !, thanks best wishes Janet .

Offline grannyanna

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 November 04 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janet,
              It took a while but the only henry I can find to fit with your family is..
1871 census
Henry Dunnit (name wrong) but on the image it is Durrant   Married age 33 head  Bootmaker born Norwich norfolk
Elizabeth aged 34 married wife Born Norwich Norfolk
 No Kids !!!

1881 census Oak st,Norwich, St Martins at oak,Norfolk
Henry Durrant MARRIED ( obviously couldnt get divorce)
age 41  Upper Boot maker Born Norfolk Norwich
Eliz Raby Boarder 36 Unmarried Tin cutter Born Brinton,
Norfolk
Eleanor WEEG? Dau 11 Born Norwich,Norfolk
John Raby 7       Son                    ...
Robert      4        Son
William      2        Son                   ...

1891 Census   7 Cat & Fiddle Rd, St Saviour, Norwich
Henry Durrant(down as Dunnant)  Age 52  Married Bootmaker Born Norfolk Norwich
Elizabeth Raby aged 44  (Nothing entered as to marital status) Tin cutter  Born Norfolk,Norwich
 William Raby 13  son Scholar Born Norwich
Edmond Raby 11 ? son scholar born Norwich
George Raby age 4 son  born Norwich
Rosa Raby  1   Born Norwich

Robert isnt here 1891 he is in a prison industrial school Aldwick Lancashire.

1901 census Norwich,norfolk workhouse....
Henry Durrant age 63 Single (at last) Bootmaker Born Norfolk,norwich

I will send the rest when I have it sorted
Hope it helps

Regards Anna

butler,kirkpatrick,lenny,bathe,baxter,beveridge,hennel,morris,taylor,kirk,hunter,penman,glen,martin

Offline hurracane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 November 04 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi there Anna, many thanks for what you have done , the lady in Aust, did the research for her cousin in Norwich , who was a durrant by birth , I had the 1881info had that for a few years now , we have a family history shop on our market of all places ! and the lady there got me going so to speak !, my brother inlaw confimed the 1891 info for me as he had access to the 1891 census for a short while .
Think what I wil do now is get one of the childrens birth certificates , see what that turns up !, what Ido know is that my great grand mother Elizabeth Raby never married Henry Durrant , I had the great fortune to meet a lovely chap last year who has done with a friend all the Rabys in Nowich and Norfolk , so that was like winning the family history lottery !.
They already knew about the conection between Henry and our Elizabeth .
So will keep on the trail , and thanks Anna , take care Janet .

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 January 05 23:12 GMT (UK) »
1871 census......what u have been provided with is as the entry appears

RG10/1808 ED 14 Folio 65 Page 21
St Augustine Walls
Private Homes
St Augustine Norfolk

DURRANT Henry Head 32 Mar b Norwich Shoemaker
DURRANT Elizabeth Wife 28 Mar b Norwich Shoe Finisher
DURRANT Mary Dau 9 b Norwich Scholar
DURRANT Henry Son 5 b Norwich Scholar
DURRANT William Son 3 b Norwich Scholar
DURRANT Eleanor Dau 1 b Norwich

Sorry Janet there is nothing more definative birth of all simply lists Norwich...Kris  :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hurracane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 January 05 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi there Kris , many thanks for your reply , my searching is ongoing , getting a little closer ! thanks janet  :)