Author Topic: Lawson family  (Read 6416 times)

Offline tms

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lawson family
« on: Friday 06 October 06 15:48 BST (UK) »
We have run into a wall! James Lawson of Frederick County, Maryland, USA, Born 1775. We cannot locate his parents. There appears, in Maryland Archive records, to be some business relationships to the Alexander Lawson family of Baltimore, Maryland. Alexanders father was James Lawson who appears to come from Banff, Scotland. Alexanders father, James, had a business partner John Semple also of Banff.

James Lawson, born 1775, was a farmer near Hyattstown, Maryland. He married Delilah Duvall.

Any help in this genealogy search would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

TMS

Offline James Tabago

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Lawson family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 December 07 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello TMS
I had a quick look at the Annuals of Banff and can only find one lawson (Jean) who married a Robert Cargill she errected the memorial in St Mary's kirkyard 1787.  The other graveyard in banff dates well after what your looking for. Also didn't find the name Semple in Banff either, but will keep a look out and if I find anything I'll let you know
J

Offline tms

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 December 07 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi James,

Happy to here from you. Since the October posting we believe the Semple person may be from Glasgow, Scotland, and a DNA test has revealed a strong relationship with the Dent family in Maryland in the Lawson clan. A search in the Dent family, so far, has revealed the Lawson name was used as a middle name, but we have not found why or who prior to 1775. Nothing further has been found on James Lawson's (born 1775) parents or the earlier family. I don't believe I mentioned James Lawson acquired his property from James Shearlock who was either a step father or an adopted father. All we know at this time is James Shearlock's wife was called Jeannie, but we have no information on their exact relationship.

Thank you for your help,

TMS

Offline James Tabago

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 February 08 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Had a look on Scotlands people and could not find any birth for a James Sherlock between 1553 - 1854 found a marriage 19/10/1854 James Sherlock to Emily McPherson St. Cuthberts, Edinburgh but the date is way out for you. 
Only James Lawson's I found between 1774 - 1775 are
16/02/1774 James Lawson son of John Lawson & Elizabeth Morice Dundee
26/07/1774 James Lawson son of William Lawson and Margret Garvie Glasgow
03/04/1775 James Lawson son of Jams Lawson no wife mentioned Newlands Peebles
25/03/1775 James Lawson son of William Lawson & Margaret Paterson Peebles
Might not help but Sherlock name appears after 1855 (only 42 people) in Scotland, but it is possible it was spelt differntly, maybe shearlock.  Looked at 1841 census for Scotland and not many there either, mostly they came from Ireland.  Name very common in England though. 
As I say might not help, best of luck with your searching
j

Offline billymoose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 February 08 17:01 GMT (UK) »
I am part of the Lawson family of Banff shire and Morayshire. James and Alexander are both in my family but no James born in 1775

Offline tms

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 February 08 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I have been away, and unable to check my mail or chats rrecords. Is it possible to get your genealogy of the Lawson or Shearlock family once they migrated to USA. Maybe I can research with your information and our archive records to see if there is a connection. I am literally at a dead end.

TMS

Offline billymoose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 February 08 22:04 GMT (UK) »
None of my family emigrated as fr as the records show around that time

Offline billymoose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 February 08 22:07 GMT (UK) »
An Alexander was born in 1747 and 1778 both to a James

Offline tms

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 February 08 18:33 GMT (UK) »
The Alexander Lawson I have information on was born in 1710 and died in 1760 Baltimore, Maryland. They were a rich and prominent family. He had a son called Alexander born about 1740 - I do not have an exact date.

The father, Alexander, born 1710, had a father James Lawson I am guessing born sometime around 1677, Banffshire, Scotland, who was a merchant from Glasgow dealing in tobacco and other items out of Port Tobacco, Charles county, Maryland.

James Lawson, born about 1677, had two girls Agnes and Mary. Three boys Robert, James, and Alexander, born 1710, mentioned above. Robert died in Maryland unmarried. Mary Lawson, born 1732, married James Logue, both are buried in western Maryland. Agnes and the son James I have no information on. James, the son of James, is a likely candidate father for our James Lawson, born in 1775. He, the son of James, was born, I am guessing , about 1721.

We have not been able to find a connection with our James Lawson, born 1775. Although the families did know each other as found in archival records and wills in Maryland.

TMS