Author Topic: TREANAN?  (Read 1284 times)

Offline Geoff E

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
TREANAN?
« on: Friday 06 October 06 16:15 BST (UK) »
Someone connected to my tree - John WILLIAMS born c1855 - gave his birthplace as Swansea while he was living in Cumberland in 1881 and 1891. 

By 1901 he had moved back to Wales (St Fagans); his birthplace now appears as Treanan, Glam. 

Does anyone have any idea what this place could really be? No one else seems to come from there ???
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Grampy Wyndham Jones (Wales v Ireland 1905)
    • View Profile
Re: TREANON?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 October 06 16:35 BST (UK) »
Trebanos, possibly?
    Gareth
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Offline Geoff E

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: TREANAN?
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 October 06 17:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply, Gareth ... I'm not wholly convinced ;)

I have found a reference to a Treamman in the Merthyr/Aberdare area.  Although not particularly close to Swansea, I think this is a more likely answer.  I will investigate further ....

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Grampy Wyndham Jones (Wales v Ireland 1905)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 October 06 19:12 BST (UK) »
Presumably somewhere along the line there was an incorrect transcription. Trebanos is at least in the Swansea area.
  If you're going to look further afield there's also Trealaw, in the Rhondda.
  Treaman (I don't know it, but I guess it's next door to Aberaman, the mouth of the River Aman, near Aberdare) would be with one 'm', while there is another River Amman with two 'm's further west: that's where you find Ammanford, Pontamman, etc. Mind you, the second one has only one 'm' in Welsh! And that's not even considering the sort of tangle non-Welsh speaking enumerators and transcribers get into :)
   Gareth
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Offline MikeDavies38

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 October 06 20:12 BST (UK) »
According to the 1901 census, the area was Aberdare, St Fagans.
Davies, Bywater, Murray, Gaunt, Benton, Jones, Richardson

Offline Geoff E

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 October 06 21:37 BST (UK) »
Gareth, Mike

Thanks again to you both

Yes, Treamman appears to be near Aberamman ...

http://content.ancestry.co.uk/Browse/view.aspx?dbid=8768&iid=GLARG9_4063_4065-0227

Finding that it was St Fagans near Aberdare, rather than the place where the Folk Museum is, was helpful (to an Englishman, especially).