Author Topic: Salt Island - Holyhead  (Read 13669 times)

Offline Chris Butterworth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Salt Island - Holyhead
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 13:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that info. Much appreciated.
Here in Colwyn bay we have a Colwyn Bay past and present on facebook which is encyclopaedic.
My friend who also lived on the island was Jeremy Carroll and his parents knew a telephone operator who lived in the railway cottages by Admiralty arch to the hospital . We used to call on her : our ` Aunt ` Myfanwy.
Yellow house at our back had the same name as ours but in welsh: Bodynys, and the postman kept on mixing up our letters as a result.
Fondest memories. :)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 13:44 BST (UK) »
Oh last message was to griffiths, anglesey thomas, holyhead. My name is Chris Butterworth, now
60 years young.

Offline cae howell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 19:42 BST (UK) »
yes I was with your dad on the Slieve Bloom in the sixties as a deckboy then later on I became his postman happy memories
griffiths Anglesey,, thomas Holyhead,,Liverpool

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 04 September 13 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hi. That is really interesting news. I looked up to his crew like they were gods in those days.
Dad took me overnight on that ship to Dublin once. a crewman, I think the bosun,  gave me a sixpenny piece.
Slept in a cabin with huge bunks and you knew it had been a smoker in tehre previously but I didn`t care.
Also got took round the engine room; all wonderful and loads of shiny brass and kept beautifully.
Got served tea in Captain`s cabin.
My wife made a cake for Dad on his 80th birthday in 1994, in the shape and colours of the Slieve Bloom. Yes, very happy memories.

Offline Crawia

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 15 August 14 10:23 BST (UK) »
Hello. My grandparents (David Islwyn and Barbara Jones) used to live at 3, Salt Island. I have very fond memories of numerous holidays spent on the island. I used to play with Carys and Nerys from 1, Salt Island every time I was there in the 80s. My grandfather used to have a fishing boat at Bol Sach and worked on the Holyhead-Dublin St Columbus and St David ferries. Does anyone remember my grandparents, and can anyone shed some light on the whereabouts of Carys and Nerys these days? Both should be in their 40s by now. Thank you! Bryn Jones