Author Topic: What do I look for?  (Read 1112 times)

Offline Burto

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Loving the new flag!
    • View Profile
What do I look for?
« on: Saturday 07 October 06 21:50 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have just discovered that there is a possibility that some of my ancestors were Roma.
I'm trying to work out which line it comes from and I was wondering what clues to look for?
I've looked on the websites mentioned and both sides of my maternal line have occupations that match...my GGrandmother was a can can dancer (not sure if that qualifies!) but my GGGrandfather was described as a musician or professor of the violin. He was illegitimate and I want to find out more about him and his mother but can't find anything on her-was it compulsary to Baptise children and marriage in church?
Also on another line an ancestor was a Higgler which I'm told is a hawker or someone who sells horses, but his family were nailors and seem to have an address?
I am back to 1800 so it is this time span backwards that I'm interested in if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
Thanks.
Swift , Matthews, Price , Clarke , Rockley, Dewey, Turton, Wild, Nottingham
Aldread, Brentnall, Cowlishaw Derbyshire
Elliot, The Borders/Nottingham FWK industry
Hartopp, NW Leicester (Barkby and surrounds).
Smith Bilston Staffordshire
Bennett, Calary? Ireland
Johnson, Staffordshire/Warwickshire
Latham, Lewis, Trevor, Vero, Armstrong, Barnett

Offline rosieM

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What do I look for?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 March 07 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hi, a higgler was a pedlar with a horse an cart I believe.  As for your folk seemimg to have addresses, mine did too at 1 point in grimsby...but when I got a 'look-up' done I was told this was a very very poor area and people would be pushed in in numbers near the docks to get some kind of scraps or work etc in those early years.  my folk are gypsies...but tracing them is a nightmare!  Case of 'now you see them...now you dont'.  Persevere, you'll get a break somehwere...Kind regards RosieM
Price Lincoln
Kilvington Yorks
Parnham - Notts/Yorks/Grimsby/Louth/Derbyshire
Hardwick - Hull Yorks/Poole Dorset
Hattrick Ireland/Doncaster
Ray/Reay/Wray/ -Hull Yorks
Dann - Dannet/Louth Lincs
Keal - Louth Lincs
Lindley -
Cunningham -Hull/Louth/Yorks
Hollis - Notts/Yorks
Wilson - Yorks/Notts/Boston