Author Topic: The evening post  (Read 2091 times)

Offline JGarratt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
The evening post
« on: Saturday 07 October 06 22:00 BST (UK) »
Hello

Can anyone help me please. I have a picture of my gt gt Taid and his siblings taken in Llangollen. On the back, it has been written "A family record of Great Britain, their total years aggregate 590" This pic was either taken in Aug 1934 or was in the newspaper at that time.

I have looked on the denbighshire records (Online only) for The evening post but can't seem to find it. I have also looked in The Advertiser for Llangollen and  can't seem to find the picture or any reference to the family.

Any suggestions for where to look will be gratefully recieved.

Thanks

Jeannie x
Davies - Montgomeryshire
Edwards - Selattyn Shropshire
Jones - Llangollen Denbighshire
Harris - Llangollen  Denbighshire/ Cardiganshire
Humphreys - Oswestry / Whittington Shropshire
Pearce - Kent
Gould - Essex / Kent
Phillips - Cefn Mawr
Armstrong - Lincolnshire
Baines - Manchester / Selattyn Shropshire
Kempster - Ruabon / Cefn Mawr
Pugh - Corwen Merionethshire
Wright - Ruabon / Cefn Mawr

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
Re: The evening post
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 October 06 13:41 BST (UK) »
Nobody has replied so I'll ask - are you sure it wasn't in the Wales edition of the Liverpool Daily Post? (Now called the North Wales Daily Post). Their evening paper is the Liverpool Echo, and though it might have started life as the Evening Post it has never reached rural parts of North Wales as far as I know - it would take too long to get there. Before the Evening leader started in the 70s the only evening paper that could reach Llangollen was the Shropshire Star.

All best, Chris
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 October 06 18:31 BST (UK) »
Its only a minor point Chris,but my Father used to buy the Liverpool Echo every night from Acrefair in the 1960's which is only four mile from Llangollen.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 October 06 18:51 BST (UK) »
Fair point, William. I was perhaps thinking of places further out where it was unknown. I knew it reached all the urban areas of North East Wales until the Leader took over. Would how quickly it could be got to a train station (ie Ruabon) have been a factor?

Anyway, do you know if it was ever called the Evening Post? Chris
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 October 06 18:56 BST (UK) »
Just a minor point: it was not the Shropshire Star until  1964 -  it was only the Oswestry Advertizer.
Jeannie - if you like I can give you the e-mail address of the Local Studies Library in Oswestry which has a wonderful index of local events. It's worth a try.

Gadget

PS - I've PMed you the address
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 October 06 19:32 BST (UK) »
On the main point Chris,It has always been known as the Liverpool Echo.Of course Acrefair and Llangollen had their own Railway Stations until Beeching came along in the 1960's.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 October 06 19:38 BST (UK) »
Train journey between Livepool and Lllangollen would be about an hour I'd say (twas in my day - to mid 1960s) - with poss change at Chester.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 October 06 19:57 BST (UK) »
Train journey between Livepool and Lllangollen would be about an hour I'd say (twas in my day - to mid 1960s) - with poss change at Chester.

Gadget

Somebody else giving their age away!

I never know which of these lines were closed by Beeching and which closed even earlier, unless I travelled on them. I know Rhyl-Denbigh and Ruthin-Corwen had gone earlier, so I assumed wrongly about Wrexham-Barmouth. Now reopened for steam from Llangollen to Carrog, of course.

I remember being taken on the Wrexham-Ellesmere because it was about to close. It seemed to take over an hour,  stopping at improbable halts in the middle of nowhere like Cloy, Trench and Elsan! It was a non-corridor train so the guard had to follow people to their compartment to sell them tickets.

Chris

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 October 06 20:05 BST (UK) »
I was only little Chris  ;)  Accompanied by my parents, travelling half price  ;)

I've been on the Llangollen-Barmouth but certainly not the Wrexham-Ellesmere  - now that would be an interesting ride  :D

Liverpool Echo has always been but I'm sure I remember a Liverpool Post as well.

Gadget