Author Topic: Cornish Emigrants to the USA  (Read 2395 times)

Offline webb1e

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Cornish Emigrants to the USA
« on: Sunday 08 October 06 19:27 BST (UK) »
Hello
I'd be grateful if Smudger or another Kind Soul could let me know of any emigration to the USA of :
Sampson J. Cottell (or Cottle) born St. Tudy about 1852.
I'd also be very interested, if any Devon- born folk have slipped onto the database,  in William Henry Holman Clements, born (Lamerton) about 1842 and his son William Henry Clements (born Plympton St. Mary about 1871) who emigrated in about 1881/2 and have not, apparently, been recorded since.

Thanks very much,

John

Offline borneo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Cornish Emigrants to the USA
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 December 06 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Births, a possible
Sampson Joseph Cottle        
Truro    (5c   183)
Mar qtr 1852   

Marriage, a possible
Sampson J COTTELL  and  Mary Ann RICHARDS   5th Apr 1880

Sampson J Cottle (age 9) is living with his father of the same name.
Mothers name Elizabeth

Sampson Snr born St Tudy
Sampson Jnr born Perranzabuloe Cornwall

Brian   

Willoughby - Marlborough/Wiltshire
Thomas - llandanwg
Williams - Ebbw vale
Cottrell - Bristol
Staddon - Somerset
Hughes - Morriston
Hoskins - Devon

Offline webb1e

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 December 06 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Brian,

Thanks for that, the marriage is interesting (ir presumably took place in the US?) as he is in the US 1880 census with Mary A. Cottel (wife) and Bessie Richards (other) aged 4, born Oregon.
Thanks again,

John

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 May 07 17:16 BST (UK) »
William Henry Holman b St Blazey Cornwall married to Anna Maria migrated before 1869 from St Blazey to Brazil, Passagem Ouro Preto, Wife and 5 children in St Blazey in  1881.
Anna Maria Holman b. 1845 ST Balzey Cornwall, Fathers Surname MARTIN mothers name Martha married to William Henry olman at Morro Velho Brazil 21 Nov 1864 migrated from St Blazey before 1868 to Passagem Brazil . Occupation at Migration - Shop Keeper year of first return to cornwall befoer 1881.
present at her wedding was  John George Martin (her father?)
first child born at Passagem and baptised at Morro Velho on 25 Aug 1867.  in 1881 he (first child) is resident at Fore Street St Blazey with Mother, four siblings and widow Martha Martin. William Henry appears to have stayed in Brazil.
Georgina Holman b.1869 Passagem Brazil child of William Henry Holman and Ann Maria Martin
Augusta A Holman b. 1872 Passagem Brazil child of William Henry and Ann Maria
John G M (george Martin??) Holman b.1876 Passagem Brazil child of William Henry and Ann Maria
Richard W b.1875 Passagem brazil child of William Henry and Ann Maria
Rosetta Maria b.1871 Passagem Brazil child of William Henry and Ann Maria

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline webb1e

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 May 07 19:25 BST (UK) »
Hello Toni*,

Thank you very much for that information. I haven't widened my Holman net to include the Cornwall branch as yet, but hopefully they'll fit in eventually. I must confess to having put the son's surname as Holman, but it should have been Clements, of course - I've corrected in now! I do admire the forebears for launching themselves to distant unknown (at least relatively) lands, and not an Air Mile in sight!
Thanks again,

John

Offline MPC-Coos Bay

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 September 22 16:33 BST (UK) »
Sampson J. Cottell & Mary Ann Richards were married in Coos County, OR but were both born in Perranzabuloe, Cornwall. Mary Ann divorced Sampson but I have not found a record. Bessie was Mary Ann's little sister. Their parents were Joseph & Agnes (Bawden) Richards born in Perranzabuloe, Cornwall, buried in Marshfield Pioneer Cemetery. Daughter Bessie, wife ofCharles G. Hall, is also buried here. We have a number of Cornwall immigrants buried here because of the coal mining. I try to do basic research and would be happy to share info with you.
Cricket

Moderator comment: personal e-mail address removed in accordance with RootsChat general practice and guidance to prevent others spamming or abusing it.  PLease use the personal message system to exchange e-mail addresses.  New members need to make two or more posts to be able to access the system.  Thanks