Author Topic: Baptism in Daingean  (Read 12714 times)

Offline poppyo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Baptism in Daingean
« on: Tuesday 10 October 06 12:15 BST (UK) »
Hello. Where would I find Baptism records for births in Daingean (Philipstown) inthe 1900's? I think the Catholic Church there is fairly new.
Or does Midland Ancestry have these records as well as everything else?
Thank you

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism in Daingean
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 June 07 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hiya poppyo,

I've just been having a look at an article on the Offaly Historical and Archaeological Society website about Thomas Lacy visiting Daingean (then called Philipstown) and Edenderry in 1855. If I understand the article correctly there was a Catholic church in the town at that time. 

The 1900s records are probably at the church. I see your message is dated October last and wonder if, before I contact Midlands Ancestry, you have contacted them already and got the answer to your query about the Baptismal records?

The Island Graveyard.
Sheerin / Flynn in Geashill, Rathfeston, Daingean.
Ballyduff.
Molly.
Daingean.
Griffith's Valuation (Sheeran).

Christopher

Offline poppyo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 June 07 15:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Christopher, thank you for your answers, Yes, I've read the Lacy article, the name of the church isn't mentioned.
I know that the records are at the church, I wrote to the parish priest, Father O'Byrne in January, no answer, I phoned him and he said he was a busy man and he would look up my relatives when he got time, after some months I wrote again, no answer. It is frustrating as I gave exact dates and offered to pay and the records would be fairly easy to look up.
I have found over a few years, that the Irish do not answer letters! I can say that as I am three quarters Irish.
The links are fine but I have hit a brick wall with Fr O'Byrne
Thanks for your help

Offline poppyo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 August 07 10:35 BST (UK) »
Apologies to Father O'Byrne and the Irish! He sent me excellent details recently after I sent another letter.

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 August 07 10:43 BST (UK) »
Apologies to Father O'Byrne and the Irish! He sent me excellent details recently after I sent another letter.

That's great news, poppyo.

Christopher

Offline gledhill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 September 08 23:24 BST (UK) »
Hi I wonder if anyone knows of Fawcetts in Dainean
While tracing my family I have found both a William ansd a John in Hulme Manchester who gave there birth place as Philips town. 1835 help would be much appriciated
Elsie

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 September 08 12:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Elsie & Welcome to RC,I haven't any info for you,but I do see there were Fawcett in Griffiths Valuation under Geashill there are 8 listed this isn't far from Philipstown(which today is called Daingen.) I'm not been rude Elsie but if I was you I would post on the Offaly site the name Fawcett in it's own space - that way you will get a much better chance of some one seeing it that may have some info that will help you, rather then have the name lost in the middle of a thread,Good luck regards Nipy

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 September 08 14:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Elsie,

Welcome to RootsChat.

That's sound advice from Nipy.

Each family being researched should have its own thread rather than sharing a thread. It's much easier both for the person doing the search as well as the people assisting with the search ... it makes it easier to follow a thread.

Christopher

Offline gledhill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 September 08 17:41 BST (UK) »
Wow what a sight thank you all so much. Originally I had the area as Edenderry and went on another sight didn't get one reply in 3 years to have 3 replys in a day is wonderful.
Will follow your  advise.
Elsie