Author Topic: Boat Lost off Dounreay - 18th November 1893  (Read 1382 times)

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Boat Lost off Dounreay - 18th November 1893
« on: Wednesday 11 October 06 10:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks,

You might be wondering why I have posted this on the Northumberland board, but I think the boat lost off the Scottish coast in 1893 might have North East of England connections. I have also started a post on the Aberdeen board because the usual address for all the men lost was given as Aberdeen.

I started by searching for Luke Fidler, born 1863, North Shields, who is in my family tree, and found his death entry on Scotland's People. I then noticed he was not the only person lost off Dounreay on the same day. I have listed their names on the Aberdeen board.

In addition by doing a Goggle search I found that a Henry Henderson had been awarded a Bronze Royal Humane Society Medal for making a rescue at great personal risk of W.C. Ballard on the 17th November 1893, also off the coast at Dounreay.

Well I think one of the men lost on board this tragic boat was Frederick Ballard,(relative of W.C. Ballard?) and his parents were Joseph Ballard, Sea Captain & Helen [Ellen] Ballard nee White. I think they had been married June 1864, Tynemouth 10b 257. On the 1871 census (RG10/5115 Folio 16 page 25) the family were living at Chancery Row, Chirton district. In 1881 they had moved to 3 Trinity Terrace, (next to the Berwick Arms).

As my origanal quest had been to find the name of this lost boat do you think it might have been owned by the Ballard family, but it operated out of Aberdeen?

There have been some very helpful replies and links given on the Aberdeen board for anyone who thinks their families might have been involved.

Best Wishes,
Patsy
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Barnes, Berry, Curry, Freeman, Jeffels, Nipper, Robson, Shiel, Stokell, Thompson, Urquhart,  (County Durham)
Elstob, Fidler, Hunter, Strong (Northumberland)
Acus, Bayes, Beech, Bell, Bird, Blaskett, Blatchly, Byatt, Daly, Farmer, Fricker, Hartelbury, Voullaire-Campbell (London)
Berry, Graham, Urquhart (Scotland)
Thompson, McCullough (County Down, Ireland)

Offline Paul J Ballard

• RootsChat Member
  • www.paul-ballard.com for UK Ballard Genealogy
    • View Profile
Re: Boat Lost off Dounreay - 18th November 1893
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 March 07 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Patsy,

I have a full set of information on this Ballard family if you are still interested and know of at least one descendant still living. PM me if you would like details.

Paul
Ballard in UK all locations and dates.
Other lines of interest - Wills, Bishop, Samuels, Dunnell, Easey, Wes(t)comb(e), Richarson, Jarvis, Mathews, Stoneham, Jarvis, Ingram, Edwards, Catt, Moore, Lintott, Tee, Lee, Phillips, Davies, Drew, and a few more!