Author Topic: Arbroath Poorhouse  (Read 7258 times)

Offline vhmsf1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Arbroath Poorhouse
« Reply #18 on: Monday 20 August 07 23:34 BST (UK) »
I forgot that I had this map...  It's interesting, if nothing else.  And perhaps something to add to your Family Tree Folder.

It marks where the Poorhouse was, but alas probably can't add anymore info for you... Sorry about that.  I'm going to go to the local library and see if I can find anymore information about it.  Living in the house at the gates, and the lane where those poor souls walked up to begin the most horrendous period of their lives (men went in one gate and women and children the other.  Never again did they live together - unless they managed to get out of the poorhouse, which almost never happened!), I've been fascinated with the history that took place next to my home.  I've always planned on looking into it more thoroughly but have never gotten round to it.  You've spurred me on!

If I find anything of interest, anything that might help your quest, I'll post - I promise!

Best wishes,
Kate.

Offline wildgoose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Arbroath Poorhouse
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 21 August 07 08:22 BST (UK) »
have you tried this site. ;D

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/
All information taken from my personal database compiled from original sources - Crown Copyright acknowledge as stated.
Family names:SPINK (WRY), GOODWIN (DBY), PRATT (SCT & WRY), WILDGOOSE (DBY), STRETTON (LEI & DBY), MARTIN(ANS), NICOLL(ANS), McKENNA(TYR), STRAIN(DON), WALLACE(FIF), RAE(STI), PENMAN(STI) & CAPPIE(ELN).