Author Topic: Arbroath Poorhouse  (Read 7259 times)

Offline wildgoose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Arbroath Poorhouse
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 15 October 06 10:55 BST (UK) »
Through the site you recommended I have made contact with the local archives in Arbroath and hopefully they may shed some light on the KERNAGHAN/TOPPING families.

:)
All information taken from my personal database compiled from original sources - Crown Copyright acknowledge as stated.
Family names:SPINK (WRY), GOODWIN (DBY), PRATT (SCT & WRY), WILDGOOSE (DBY), STRETTON (LEI & DBY), MARTIN(ANS), NICOLL(ANS), McKENNA(TYR), STRAIN(DON), WALLACE(FIF), RAE(STI), PENMAN(STI) & CAPPIE(ELN).

Offline luckychirpy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 October 06 11:10 BST (UK) »
If you have a look at the National Library of Scotland website you will find an 1858 map of Arbroath and can see the extent of W Grimsby
Arbroath, St Vigeans, Auchmithie...names Beattie,Eaton,Spink,Smith,Keir, Shepherd, Cargill
Dunnichen/Farnell names...Weir,Addison, Anderson,Rodger
Aberdeenshire...names Stephen,Kemp,Wallace,Davidson,Sellar,McLeman,Cordiner,Crawford,Traill,Watt
Have an extensive history for McLeman.

London.....Vallance,Edwards, Dixon.

Offline luckychirpy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 15 October 06 11:14 BST (UK) »
Have you seen the Talking Scotland site  www.talkingscot.com

This has a bit about workhouses & other institutions also
Arbroath, St Vigeans, Auchmithie...names Beattie,Eaton,Spink,Smith,Keir, Shepherd, Cargill
Dunnichen/Farnell names...Weir,Addison, Anderson,Rodger
Aberdeenshire...names Stephen,Kemp,Wallace,Davidson,Sellar,McLeman,Cordiner,Crawford,Traill,Watt
Have an extensive history for McLeman.

London.....Vallance,Edwards, Dixon.

bervonian

« Reply #12 on: Sunday 15 October 06 12:20 BST (UK) »
There's a website (users.ox.ac.uk/~peter/workhouse/menu.html) which gives a list of the staff and inmates in Arbroath Workhouse in 1881.  This would be too early for your David Kernaghan but it includes a map showing it's location.
The 1901 Census of the Workhouse might show him as an inmate.
If the website doesn't work, simply Google - Arbroath Workhouse.

Bervonian.

Offline wildgoose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 15 October 06 19:46 BST (UK) »
many thanks.  would I be right in thinking that the workhouses kept their own records of inmates?
All information taken from my personal database compiled from original sources - Crown Copyright acknowledge as stated.
Family names:SPINK (WRY), GOODWIN (DBY), PRATT (SCT & WRY), WILDGOOSE (DBY), STRETTON (LEI & DBY), MARTIN(ANS), NICOLL(ANS), McKENNA(TYR), STRAIN(DON), WALLACE(FIF), RAE(STI), PENMAN(STI) & CAPPIE(ELN).

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 21 October 06 23:53 BST (UK) »
English workhouses kept several registers - notably the Admissions and Discharges one.  I would guess that the Scottish system was similar.  Many of these survive in England - and many don't. Peter Higginbottom's workhouses site usually lists what records survive for each workhouse.
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline wildgoose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 22 October 06 09:22 BST (UK) »
many thanks

Offline vhmsf1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 20 August 07 15:13 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Just wanted to mention that the Arbroath Poorhouse was located on the hill at the back of my (present) home. 

In fact, the lane up to the Brechin Road gates runs alongside my house and the hinges for the left hand gate are still embedded in the wall.  Apart from that, there is nothing at all left of the Poorhouse.  I'm sure that most people would say this is a good thing...

Kate.

Offline wildgoose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 20 August 07 15:52 BST (UK) »
thanks Kate ;D