Author Topic: Family names : Ardill. Roche, B(o)urke & Cleary  (Read 11566 times)

Offline SArdill

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Family names : Ardill. Roche, B(o)urke & Cleary
« Reply #9 on: Friday 24 June 05 18:35 BST (UK) »
My name is William Stephen Roche Ardill and I have just started to investigate my family history, both the Roches and the Ardills. My grandfather, Harry Roche Ardill emigrated to Canada in the early 1900’s from Ireland, as did one of his brothers, John Roche Ardill. Their father, also John Roche Ardill was a minister in the Church of Ireland (Dean of Elphin) for some 40 years.

The Ardills seem to come from Tipperary and the Roches from Wexford. I am attempting to determine when the two families came together. Any insight you may have would be appreciated.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 22 May 06 08:26 BST (UK) »
Hiya SArdill,

A belated Welcome to Rootschat.

Do you have any dates other than 1900 when Harry emigrated to Canada?
I think it might be worthwhile looking at Rev James Blennerhassett Leslie's series of "Clergy and Parishes" books to see if there are any Ardill and Roche clergy who may have been Church of Ireland priests at the same time. Clergy tended to marry someone of at least their own standing .. possibly a daughter of a big house... sometimes the daughter of the guy he replaced in the parish. We know one thing that is almost a certainty .. the Roche was probably the wife of an Ardill.

All the Best, Chris

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 22 May 06 10:39 BST (UK) »
I am sorry to say - I have not got any further with this family !

I wonder if anyone can offer a suggestion to another puzzle.....

passed down through the family - and we believe coming from Ireland - we have an old suitcase - obviously of good quality and once very smart - grey with black trimming .  What intrigues us is that it has black initials on the front - L.R.B.

Any ideas.....

was there ever a Leatitia Roche Bourke ?  for instance
~~~~~~~~

Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Areas: Yorkshire, Lancashire, Norfolk, Marylebone & Tipperary

Offline figureskatingmom

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 29 March 09 15:00 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I too, have a couple of Ardell Girls (possibly spelling hanged through generations or perhaps I have just gotten it wrong) in my tree.

I have a Susannah Ardell (possible daughter of William Ardell - from an IGI individual report from the website www.familysearch.org) who married Robert Ralph - in Ireland. Susannah was Christened on Sept 19, 1871 at Templemore and Killea and Killovinoge and Templeret, Tipperary, Ireland.
Robert was born about 1787, in Ireland - we think.
Robert and Susannah had 5 boys - Charles, Thomas, Robert A (my line), Wesley and William.
We believe that they came to Canada about 1819 (or 1825 as another family members work says) with Robert's brother James Robert Ralph.

James Robert Ralph (b: 1775 in Tipperary, Ireland; d:July 24, 1865 in Clarendon, Quebec, Canada) married Ellen Ardell (b:abt 1873 in Ireland); d: July 29, 1860 in Clarendon, Quebec, Canada)
He was employed in Modreeny Parish, Tipperary, Ireland. They were  tenant farmers on the old Harrison estate in northern Tipperary County.

I have no other info on these brothers (there must have been more siblings as their DOB's are so far apart) or their family.
As for the Ardell girls - I don't know if it a coincidence that they had they same surname, perhaps they were cousins, sisters -??? However, The mention of Susan Ardill above, D/O William makes me think that perhaps I might have found a long sought after link??

Tara McFadyen
Alberta, Canada

Offline dhhound

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 22 November 10 21:21 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure where this might be connected but there is a Quebec, Canada record of a marriage between Letitia Ardill and Jean Baptiste Truchon in November 1854 in what was then Napierville, now named St Remi, located in the farming country south of Montreal.

I'm tracing the Ardiel (Ardill/Ardell) family on behalf of a friend. They appear to have originated in Tipperary, moved to Quebec and from there to Middlesex County, Ontario.

Offline cwood91262

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 December 10 05:15 GMT (UK) »
I also am interested in the Ardill name from Tipperary, mostly from the viewpoint of Protestants in N. Tipperary.  I'm trying to make some sense of the families, and would welcome any input on a number of them that I have.  Some that I have are:

James Ardill married to Susan Hodgins, 7 children identified to date (between 1864 and 1878), in Tipperary
Leonard Ardill and Rebecca Cary (early settlers in Canada), 3 children identified so far (all born circa 1799-1805)and descendancy for each
George Ardill and Elizabeth St. Leger m 1817, and moved back and forth between Borrisokane, Co. Tipp and Ferbane, Co. Offaly, 10 children identified to date, with some descendancy
John Ardill and Prudence Cleary, 4 children identified to date (mid 1820s) with some descendancy

Some of the lines I can take to well into the 20th century, and I would welcome additional information on all occurrences of the name.

Cindy Wood
Tipperary, Limerick
Powell, Keas, Keays, Going, Acheson, Bradshaw, Parker, Myles

Offline dhhound

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 December 10 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Will send you a PM outlining what I have. You can then see if its of interest to you and we can work out a way of getting it to you.  I'd certainly be interested in any Irish references, both prior to 1800 and after.

Offline elima

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 21 April 20 18:00 BST (UK) »
I hope someone here can help me. I'm trying to find out more about my ancestor Eliza/Elizabeth Ardell/Ardill who married Thomas Griffin (farmer) in North Tipperary, possibly in Terryglass or Borrisokane, shortly before 1827. Thomas Griffin was born in about 1798 in North Tipperary but I don't have a date or place of birth for Elizabeth.
Thomas and Elizabeth began their married life in Terryglass but later lived in Feighmore and Feighbeg, Borrisokane.
Some Ardills/Ardells who were sponsors at Eliza and Thomas's children's Borrisokane baptisms (1827-1832) were George, Marianne and John - I'm guessing these were close relatives of Elizabeth's.