Author Topic: The House where my Mum was born  (Read 5063 times)

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The House where my Mum was born
« Reply #9 on: Monday 16 October 06 16:56 BST (UK) »
Yaay Teap! Lloydy, how did it go?

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Crinoline

• RootsChat Member
  • Looking for some roots...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 October 06 17:02 BST (UK) »
What a fascinating thread... ;D

I would love to see inside the house where I was born, (& lived until I was 5) but am unsure how to go about this...

It is the address on my birth cert though, - & so perhaps that would be proof enough?

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Crinoline

• RootsChat Member
  • Looking for some roots...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 16 October 06 17:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Again,

On the same topic...

I went to great lengths last year to obtain a photo of the Woodcutter's Cottage in Lewisham SE.13 where my mother was born in 1924. It was demolished round about WW2, but I found a copy in the London Metropolitan Archives.

This is it:
Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 16 October 06 19:09 BST (UK) »
If you have an old picture of the house, bring it with you. Most people are delighted to see what their house looked like years ago and it often starts a conversation about what changes there have been to the house over the years.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Comosus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 16 October 06 19:38 BST (UK) »
I would be sceptical about letting someone in, especially if they just knocked on the door and asked if you could come in (even if you did explain your situation.  I think a letter would be a much better way as it's less intrusive and allows them time to think about the situation before making a decision.

I agree with aghadowey - a photo would be good to use.

Andrew

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 17 October 06 23:11 BST (UK) »

Thank you everyone for your replies, and I apologise for not returning to this thread sooner.  Strangely, I have no email notifications for this thread, and it doesn't appear in the "Show new replies to your posts" either.  Very odd ???

Anyway, I have read your posts with interest, and have decided that I will write a nice letter to the occupants first just to explain my interest in their house.  I agree with Su's comment
In this day and age, anybody knocking on your door asking to look round is a bit dodgy, even with a respectable looking lady as yourself
so I will send my letter, and let you all know when I (hopefully) receive a reply.

What a fascinating thread... ;D

I would love to see inside the house where I was born, (& lived until I was 5) but am unsure how to go about this...

It is the address on my birth cert though, - & so perhaps that would be proof enough?

Romilly.

Romilly, try the same thing as me..........send a nice letter ;)
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 17 October 06 23:31 BST (UK) »

I have typed my letter, and it's all ready to be posted tomorrow.

Fingers crossed!!!!!

p.s.  I've got a photo of the outside - the whole street is on a website :D
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 18 October 06 00:34 BST (UK) »
Good luck. I am anxious to hear how it turns out. Interestingly, and I had forgotten about this, but one of my ancestor's houses is now the parish house for the Catholic church in the small town. We knocked on the door in August, but Sr. Evelyn was out and I have played a little phone tag with her. It's not a direct ancestor and no home I had ever been to before, but it is fascinating to think my ancestors lived there, and my gg grandparents most definitely would have visited.

Kath
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 18 October 06 01:38 BST (UK) »
a stamped self addressed envelope often helps too

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk