Author Topic: 1841 census? Birth/Christening Records - J BRINDLEY b. Windsor  (Read 2518 times)

Offline griz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
1841 census? Birth/Christening Records - J BRINDLEY b. Windsor
« on: Saturday 14 October 06 22:46 BST (UK) »
  Looking for John Brindley born in  Windsor.  He was born in  1823 according to his military records.

He was not living with his father, John Brindley, and his step mother( Martha) in 1841, but that was the year he joined the army aged 18.

He joined Nov 1841,  so somewhere in between the census being taken in the Spring,  and joining the army, 73rd Foot, he may have been an apprentice with someone  as he gave his occupation on joining, as a 'tailor'. Maybe apprenticed in Windsor?

He attested in Queen's Square, Middlesex. So there is a possibilty that he was an apprentice in London.

His father was also a  military man . He was in the  Lifeguards.

John Brindley Sr, and 2nd wife Martha, were living at Spital New Windsor with their 2 year old daughter,and a younger brother of John Jr, William, b about 1827/30, a also a child of the first marriage,  on the 1841 census.   John and Martha(nee Adams  ) married in 1839  and he gave his status as widower so his first wife would have died before that date.  They were married at St Lukes, Anglican, Chelsea.

John Sr was born in Staffordshire  and lived there till he joined the Lifeguards in 1815.

Unknown where  His first wife,  the mother of John and William, was from. Unknow what her name was.  His attestation papers give no details of his marital  status. .

John Brindley, jr may have been John sr's first child so maybe there was a marriage shortly before that time.

I would like those marriage details.  :)

There may have been other children
born between John's and William's dates of birth but no way of knowing.  I would be very grateful for any information.
Boyle, Co. Leitrim  Boyle, Co. Tyrone, Shaughnessy, Co. Limerick, and  Manchester, UK.  Pope, Cheshire. Chadwick, Speke, Lancs.  Frankish, Hunmanby, Yorks.  Brindley, Audley, Staffs and  Middlesex.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census? birth/Christening records for J.Brindley, b. Windsor
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 October 06 03:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Griz

I wonder if this his John jnr in 1841 - looks like a Draper's Training Camp - I've put them all in for effect!

1841: St Martin Ludgate, Middlesex
Hundred:  London Within the Walls
RD: London: REF: HO107/721/22 / F17 / Pg29
ADDRESS: Ludgate Hill
//
Richard HARVEY 25, Draper - Y
Hannah HARVEY 20 - Y
Henry WHITE 25, Draper Sh - N
James WOOTTEN, 25, Draper Sh - N
Thomas ALLEN 15, Draper Sh - Y
Richard CRANE? 20, Draper Sh - N
John STONE 15, Draper Sh - N
George QUARTERMAN 20, Draper Sh - N
James DAVIS 20, Draper Sh - Ireland
William SMITH 20, Draper Sh - N
Gabriel TYLEY 20, Draper Sh - N
Samuel HARRIDINE? 20, Draper Sh - N
Charles THORPE 25, Draper Sh - N
Edwin PRUETT? 15, Draper Sh - Y
Thomas COLE 20, Draper Sh - Y
William RUSH 15, Draper Sh - N
Jesse HALL 15, Draper Sh - N
John BRINDLEY 20, Draper Sh - N
Samuel PROUT 20, Draper Sh - N
William EDENBURN? 15, Draper Sh - Y
William HAZELL 20, Draper Sh - Y
William NEWMAN 20, Draper Sh - Y
Edward LANGSFORD 20, Draper Sh - N
Matthew COOK 25, Draper Sh - N
Edward THOMSON 25, Draper Sh - N
Charlotte STEVENS 20, FS - N
Margaret HAMMATT 25, FS - Y
Sarah IVERN 15, FS - Y
Harriet AGATE, 20, FS - N
//

Ages were rounded down in 1841.

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline griz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 October 06 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Ambly, you are a star  :)
I bet that is the John I am looking for.

How odd. A multitude of drapers.  ;D

You are right. Your putting  them all in really does add to the effect  and who knows you may have helped someone else in the process. 
It makes the information so much more interesting with the details added, thank you.

I wonder if the ages  were rounded up as well as down sometimes. Perhaps as he was closer to 20 they would say 20.
They are all young so it probably is some kind of training group, otherwise there would have been a few older people I would think, had it been only a list of drapers.

I guess John was not too thrilled about it as he decided to join the army.  What wonderful pictures these little fragments of history  create in the imagination. :)

thank you again for your kindness.
Boyle, Co. Leitrim  Boyle, Co. Tyrone, Shaughnessy, Co. Limerick, and  Manchester, UK.  Pope, Cheshire. Chadwick, Speke, Lancs.  Frankish, Hunmanby, Yorks.  Brindley, Audley, Staffs and  Middlesex.

Offline griz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 October 06 18:49 BST (UK) »
I am still interested in finding the elusive birth/Christening of John Brindley jr.( b 1823 according to military papers)  in Windsor and perhaps his brother William, b about 1828-30.

Also the marriage/death of their mother. Her name is unknown so far.

John sr ( in the Lifeguards ) also spent time in Kensington.