Author Topic: Parents of Thomas & Henry Brett, Hastings please  (Read 23996 times)

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of Thomas & Henry Brett, Hastings please
« Reply #18 on: Monday 29 September 08 08:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie
Welcome to rootschat.   As Jazer is such an unusual name Harriet must be the Jazer H Walles who is a servant in Wadhurst in 1861 and with her parents Isaac and Eliza in 1851.     Walles can have various different spellings.  Wallis/Wallace etc   Have you checked them all on the marriage index?  It might be worth asking the local register office to look for the marriage as it may be one which slipped the net and was never sent on to the GRO.  Another slight possibility is that she was a widow when she married Henry.
Andrea

Offline alonso gg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 04 October 08 18:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie

thanks for posting in this thread.
I had not come across the name Jazer before, only Harriet.
1871 census gives Harriet as Heny's wife, occupation "Tailor's nip" age 26 born Wadhurst.
1861 census return I seem to recall showed a Harriet Humphrey living with Thomas and Mary before she dies; but of course that is the one I don't seem to have a copy of

The 1851 census does show a Harriet Humphrey age 6 at Reed Cottage Wadhurst - daughter of Anna and Jessee (Agricultural labourer). the registration district for Wadhurst is Ticehurst. It would be good to find a marige certificate to tie these census entries together.

My Grandfather was Charles b 16 April 1898 @ 87 Emanual Rd St Marys Hastings (Alonzo's home) to Emily Philadelphia Southwell of Emanual vicarage Westhill Hastings.
Emily died 2 March 1947 Model Cott Farnborough Rd Farnborough Hants. I think she is buried in Hastings, probably with Alonzo, but Charles did not seem to keep in touch with the rest of his family, presumably including you; so I have no details about what happened to Alonzo or Emily and Arthur.

So I would be very interested in any further info you could give me

regards
Nigel
Alonso Brett, Hastings Sussex
Emily Philadelphia Southwell

Wheeler IOW
Hardy IOW

Offline Annie7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 05 October 08 12:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Nigel thank you for the reply, our grandparents were brother and sister making us second cousins. I have been doing this side of the family tree for a few years and until recently had trouble going back any further than Henry and Jazer Harriett.I have a copy of Alonzo's birth certificate which says jazers name as Wallis she was born in Wadhurst in 1844 to Isaac and Eliza wallis, in 1871 he is a post master. Jazer is Henrys second wife, as yet i can not find a marriage for them.

I live in Farnborough and we drive by Model cottage most weeks, apparently it has not changed from the outside much.

I have copies of Alonzo and Jazers birth certificate if you would like a copy.

Rgards Anne

Offline haliared

• RootsChat Senior
  • The future rests upon the foundations of the past.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 18 October 08 01:56 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
Not sure if this is any help to anyone, but I am helping to trace a Brett family from Hastings/Hollington (via Anne daughter of William and Caroline BRETT) for a friend, and I have found them often indexed/transcribed as BRITT - accents responsible I bet !
Best wishes, haliared.
Census & BMD information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lynne wainwright

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Wanted: a genius to work this one out?
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 22 October 08 20:43 BST (UK) »
My grandmother was Florence Elsie Brett. Her parents were William George Brett and Alice Brett nee Harris.  This is where my search comes to an abrupt end sort of.  Florence had a brother also William George Brett born 29th May 1900 at 69 Paynton Road, St Leonards-on-sea, East Sussex.  I thought I was being clever searching the 1901 census for that address but only found the Smith family. Although strangely all the first names of the Smith family were the same as my grandmother's parents and siblings.  Confused yet?  The only documentation I have is a marriage certificate for William George 'Britt' and Alice Harris married on 27th April 1895.

Just to finish this saga off,  William George 'Britt's father, according to this marriage certificate is William George Britt.

I think you can see why I am confused and thoroughly frustrated with this search but desperate for information.  I am absolutely certain I am looking for the Brett family as according to my grandmother she was related to Sir Henry Brett.

Please help!

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 22 October 08 21:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynne,

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Given that the first names are correct on the 1901 census, I worked on the theory that the Smith family you are looking at IS actually the right family. From there, I find this 1881 census:
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=uki1881&indiv=try&h=21744129
RG11/1025 22 37

(or click here if you can't access above link: http://www.rootschat.com/links/04l6/)

Harriet Brett is unmarried in 1871, staying with her parents. William probably used his stepfather's name in everyday life (he's William Smith in 1891, still with Harriet and Thomas) and told a little lie when he married to cover his illegitimacy - nothing uncommon there

:)

Added: Here's what looks like his birth registration
William George Brett
Mar 1870 Hastings 2b 39
 "My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lynne wainwright

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 22 October 08 22:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Tati

Thanks for the information.  I was wondering if you have the names of Harriet's parents she was living with in 1871.

Lynne

Offline haliared

• RootsChat Senior
  • The future rests upon the foundations of the past.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 23 October 08 02:08 BST (UK) »
Found these burials in my data base for Hastings / St Leonards.....
BRETT   A. E. R.   67   8 Jan 1933   Hastings Cem.Div B      

Name is Albert : Q1 1933 BRETT Albert E R age 67, Hastings 2b 22
Census & BMD information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 23 October 08 07:38 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if you have the names of Harriet's parents she was living with in 1871.

Here are the details:

RG10/1030 75 13
St Mary in The Castle, Sussex
51 Stonefield Rd

Harriet Brett, head, wid, 53, Annuitant
Emma, dau, unm, 24, Domestic
Harriet, dau, unm, 19, Ironer
William, son, 16, Labourer
Alfred, son, 15, Labourer
Jemima, dau, 13, scholar
William, grandson, 1

All born Hastings