Author Topic: Advice on Christchurch Archives Please? - Completed  (Read 1644 times)

Offline KDQ

• RootsChat Member
  • Need to Focus!!
    • View Profile
Advice on Christchurch Archives Please? - Completed
« on: Sunday 15 October 06 21:06 BST (UK) »
I wish to get some copies of some probates (all with open access) from Christchurch Archives and I was wondering which is the best/most cost effective way of me getting them.  Is  it possible for me to order them and get them posted to me or would it be better for me to order them and get them sent to a relative of mine in NZ?

Grateful for any advice please.  Kind regards, Karen
Quinn - Tyrone, Ireland ; Greymouth/Waipori/Waimate South/Otago, New Zealand
Galway Carlow, Ireland
Grace Ireland
McSorley Ireland
Donnelly Skreen, County Meath, Ireland
Matthews Tyrone and Monaghan, Ireland
McKenna Tyedavnet, Monaghan, Ireland
O'Neill - Dublin, Ireland

Offline piedstilt

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "Show me the way to go home ..."
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on Christchurch Archives Please?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 October 06 22:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen,

If you contact the Archives direct I am sure there will be no problem with their copying and posting the probates to you - it will be just a matter of arranging payment, which will vary according to how much material is held with each one.

Alternatively, I'd be happy to go in a take a look at the documents for you. Sometimes they don't tell you much and if there was any specific info you were after I could copy it out for you.

Cheers,

Ros
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KDQ

• RootsChat Member
  • Need to Focus!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 October 06 08:44 BST (UK) »
If you contact the Archives direct I am sure there will be no problem with their copying and posting the probates to you - it will be just a matter of arranging payment, which will vary according to how much material is held with each one.
Alternatively, I'd be happy to go in a take a look at the documents for you. Sometimes they don't tell you much and if there was any specific info you were after I could copy it out for you.

Hello Ros

Thank you for your reply.  I have just sent an enquiry email off to the archives and am waiting for a reply.

Ros - If you were going into the archives anyway - I would really appreciate if you could have a look at the probates - I just really wanted to see if there way any more info on them other than whats on the title of the probates (I have very little info so anything else would be great!).....if theres lots of info on there  - don't worry about copying it out  - I'm just after the general jist because if theres info on there I'll buy anyway (hope this makes sense!).... Again, I very much appreciate your offer Ros - very kind of you.  My previous posting requesting help with the probates in Christchurch is here:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,189556.0.html

Many thanks again and kind regards, Karen
Galway Carlow, Ireland
Grace Ireland
McSorley Ireland

Offline piedstilt

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 October 06 23:14 BST (UK) »
Hi again, Karen,

Sorry I missed your first posting re the Quinns. Happy to go take a look to see if there is any interesting info in the probates, but unfortunately I am going away tomorrow, so it won't be for a couple of weeks.I'll be in touch ...

Cheers,

Ros 

Offline piedstilt

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 October 06 03:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karen,

Here's the info - such as it is.

James John Quinn of 245 Salisbury St, Christchurch died 26/12/1931.
Will made 17/11/1927.
Probate granted 10/1/1933 - delay because will mislaid!

Executors and beneficiaries sons James Wilfred Quinn and Peter Leslie Martin Quinn. Estate valued at under £700.

At the time of probate PLMQ was living at 'Nome' Private Hotel, 7 Pitt St, Auckland and the reason he was not part of the application  for probate was that he was under the age of 21.

Edward Michael Quinn died 14/6/1940.
Will made 18/11/1937. Probate granted 12/7/1940.
Sole executor and beneficiary was his widow Margaret Frances Griffen Quinn. Effects under £5000.

Because it was wartime there was a lot of swearing that nobody was an enemy alien, which revealed that MFGQ was born in Stafford, NZ and EMQ (according to his sister Ellen Nyberg) was born at Waipori, NZ.

Mary Quinn died 18/12/1985.
Will dated 11/3/1958. PRobate granted 12/2/1986.

Sole executor her sister Catherine Veronica McCarthy.

Here's an odd thing, though ...

Use of her property at Tainui St, Greymouth, is granted to her brother Edward Michael Quinn during his lifetime, and then ownership reverts to her sister.

Ditto rental income from another property at Milton Rd.

At the time her will was made, Edward Michael Quinn had been dead for 18 years!  (Or was there another man of the same name?)

Definitely not worth paying $20 to get copies of these - this is the only interesting info; all the rest legal gobbledygook.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Ros

Offline KDQ

• RootsChat Member
  • Need to Focus!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 October 06 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Mary Quinn died 18/12/1985.
Will dated 11/3/1958. PRobate granted 12/2/1986.

Sole executor her sister Catherine Veronica McCarthy.

Here's an odd thing, though ...

Use of her property at Tainui St, Greymouth, is granted to her brother Edward Michael Quinn during his lifetime, and then ownership reverts to her sister.

Ditto rental income from another property at Milton Rd.

At the time her will was made, Edward Michael Quinn had been dead for 18 years!  (Or was there another man of the same name?)

Dear Ros

I had to really think about this one! ... Both Mary's father and brother were named Edward Michael Quinn ! Her brother died in 1963 so Mary's will was made before he died... so that makes sense to me now... (it took a while!!!

Thank you so so much for this information Ros and I really appreciate you taking the time to note it all down for me.  This has really helped me and as a bonus, I now have three mores names I didn't know of and a possible link to Auckland that we didn't know of either. 

I'm very grateful.  Many kind regards, Karen ;D
Galway Carlow, Ireland
Grace Ireland
McSorley Ireland