Author Topic: Transported convict  (Read 1693 times)

Offline Heatha

• RootsChat Senior
  • Best friend
    • View Profile
Transported convict
« on: Monday 16 October 06 07:35 BST (UK) »
Could anyone help me trace a transported convict - George PAGE born about 1801 at Stetchworth. He married Ann STARLING on 26th April 1825 at Burrough Green where there children were baptised. On 27th July 1845 their youngest child was baptised, using census records at the age of about 4. In the parish records it states that her father, George was a transported convict.

I'm not sure how to find out where his trial was or how to find the crime for which he was transported. Between 1851 and 1861 the rest of the family seems to disappear. Any help would be very welcome.

TIA,

Heatha  :)
LAY - HAM, BKM
SARGENT - SFK
THAIN - NFK, SFK, YKS
DEAN - YKS
WAGER- YKS
HARRIS - BKM
SIMMS - BKM
and lots more besides

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Transported convict
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 October 06 07:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Heatha

There is a George Page who came to Tas as a convict arriving 1844 - another who left 1844 - you can check them here
http://portal.archives.tas.gov.au/menu.aspx?search=11

the only other place probably taking convicts at that time would be NSW - you can check their archives site here
http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/

If you post a query on the immigrant to australia board, you may get some more responses

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Heatha

• RootsChat Senior
  • Best friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 October 06 20:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Trish. I'm not sure that that gets me any further. I think I still need to find out when and where he was convicted and then I might find be able to link into the records. I think the 1844-1845 felon might be a good bet.

All the best and kind regards,

Heatha.
LAY - HAM, BKM
SARGENT - SFK
THAIN - NFK, SFK, YKS
DEAN - YKS
WAGER- YKS
HARRIS - BKM
SIMMS - BKM
and lots more besides

Offline peggypatch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 October 06 20:11 BST (UK) »
The PRO holds registers of transported convicts (Ref HO 11) they are arranged by the date of sailing to Australia. Once you find him there will be a note of the date and place of conviction, the sentence given and the ship he sailed on. Once you know where and when he was convicted you can go to the appropriate record office and look at minutes of the trial.

Offline Heatha

• RootsChat Senior
  • Best friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 October 06 15:36 BST (UK) »
 :) Thanks very much. If you could tell me where I can access the PRO that would be very helpful. I'm now on the learning curve and visiting an area I haven't been to before!

Kind regards,

Heatha.
LAY - HAM, BKM
SARGENT - SFK
THAIN - NFK, SFK, YKS
DEAN - YKS
WAGER- YKS
HARRIS - BKM
SIMMS - BKM
and lots more besides

Offline peggypatch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 October 06 22:07 BST (UK) »
The Public Record Office is at Kew, near London. They do have a website http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/default.htm and they do have some records available on-line, but I'm pretty sure not the ones you want. You'll either have to go yourself or pay someone to look for you, details on visiting are on the website.

Good luck in your search