Author Topic: Winston Churchill Welsh Roots  (Read 1803 times)

Offline hourihane

• RootsChat Member
  • Wynston of Tre-Wyn
    • View Profile
Winston Churchill Welsh Roots
« on: Monday 16 October 06 09:16 BST (UK) »
In a part of long speech made at The National Assembly for Wales in 2002 The First Minister (Rhodri Morgan) said that the family of Winston Churchill emanated from Trewyn manor in Monmouthshire. Trewyn manor and estate was originally owned by the Wynston family. Does anyone know were he would obtain this information from as I am unable to find it ..

The National Assembly for Wales

(The Official Record)Thursday 4 April 2002

Tributes to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother

The Assembly met at 11.30 a.m. with the Presiding Officer in the Chair.

The First Minister (Rhodri Morgan):

Funeral orations are for funerals. Today is the day on which we, on behalf of the people of Wales, mark and celebrate the remarkable life and longevity of public service of the late Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother. When we consider that she was born in 1900, when the Marquis of Salisbury was Prime Minister—the last time that the post was held by a member of the House of Lords—and lived until 2002, it is an extraordinary lifespan.
Was there ever such a life of nonretirement? She did not slip quietly into the shadows of old age when widowhood began in 1952. When the Marquis of Salisbury was Prime Minister, there was no welfare state. He came from the famous Anglo-Welsh Cecil
family, whose ancestor, Lord Burleigh, had been Prime Minister—although the title was
not used then—during the reign of Elizabeth I. His grandfather had left the little border
village of Pandy following the Wars of the Roses.
I had the odd experience two days ago of staying at Alltyrynys, the farmhouse which was the ancestral home of the then Dafydd Seisyllt—David Cecil as he became when he moved to England—the ancestor of the Marquis of Salisbury. The family of Winston Churchill emanated from the neighbouring farm, Trewyn, which was anglicised into Winston. There must be something in the water of the river Monnow around those parts.