Author Topic: Samuel Spencer, Leeds, 1893  (Read 2238 times)

Offline nsc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Samuel Spencer, Leeds, 1893
« on: Tuesday 09 November 04 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello.

First, the story:

We live in France, in the Somme region in fact, and my wife (who is French) gave birth to our second child on Sunday (7/11/04). During her labour, the anaesthetist was chatting quite animatedly, and told us that his wife’s grandfather was English, and married and settled in France after WW1.

Neither he nor his wife speak English, but they are very keen on tracing their English ancestry, and asked if I could help. In the first instance, they want to trace their family line back, but of more importance to them is to trace any descendants of their English family who might be around today.

The anaesthetist’s wife’s grandfather was SAM SPENCER, born in Leeds, Yorkshire, on 3rd November 1893. His parents were apparently called JAMES SPENCER and ADA BARSTOW. Unfortunately, they have no documents to confirm spellings. It is also though that he had a sister called EVA who became a nurse.

SAM died in France on 12th September 1953.

I have looked on the 1901 census and the Yorkshire BMD index, but can’t find a match.

Can anybody help? ???

Thankyou

Neil Cartwright

Offline nsc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Spencer, Leeds, 1893
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 November 04 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Couldn't find a match because he was from Cleckheaton!

Any info, anybody? ???

Offline winston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 November 04 20:58 GMT (UK) »
HI

Can you make it a little clearer who is from Cleckheaton?

I live there currently and wonder what I can do to help if anything?

Wendy
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Blakeley in Batley West Yorks
Turner in Hanging Heaton West Yorkshire
Dann last known area Soothill West Yorks
Hirst in Hanging heaton W Yorks
Moss in Morley and Leeds
Parker in Morley W Yorks
Parker in Hull E Yorks
Tilburns in Morley W Yorks

Offline nsc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 November 04 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wendy

Brilliant ! Yes, I’m pretty certain you’ll be able to help !

You’ve read the story about the anaesthetist at our new baby’s birth last Sunday (nice chap, though the epidural didn’t work!), wanting to trace his wife’s grandfather, whom she believed came from Leeds? That will put you in the picture.

Well, through this forum, I’ve been able to gather an awful lot of information.

Firstly, her grandfather was Samuel Spencer, not born in Leeds but in Cleckheaton on 3.11.1893. According to the 1901 census, he lived in Springfield Terrace with his sisters, Mary A (1892) and Lizzie (1896). However, the anaesthetist’s wife is certain that her grandfather also had a brother who migated to France (and may have seen millitary service in either India or Sri Lanka), and a sister called Eva, who became a nurse and whom she is named after. If you can shed any light on either of these two, that would be wonderful.

But the most important thing is that they are really keen to trace any living relatives of their Cleckheaton family. Having said that, at the moment we only have the names of two of Samuel’s sisters. If they married, they won’t have retained the name ‘Spencer’, so tracing their lines may prove difficult. (Whether Parish Records or the local Register Office can help?) I’m not really sure how to go about this one. Do you have any ideas? We may have to track back a generation to follow the Spencer name.

Samuel’s parents were James Spencer and Ada Barstow, both born in Cleckheaton in 1868. According to the 1891 census, they lived at 5 Union Street, Cleckheaton. Does Union Street still exist? I couldn’t find it on an internet street map. James had a sister, Eliza Jane (1872) and two brothers, Sam (1875) and John Richard (1877), all born in Cleckheaton. To cast forward, we may have to follow Sam’s or John’s lines.

James worked as a ‘framer’ and Ada as a ‘card filler up’. I assume this was in a textile mill. Was there a significant employer in Cleckheaton, or nearby, where they might have worked?

James’s parents were Richard (born Cleckheaton 1834) and Elizabeth (born Manchester 1841). They lived in Jachin Street, Cleckheaton. Again, does it still exist?

And then we can go back a generation further still to Fredrick Spencer and Mary Ann, both of Cleckheaton, whom, I guess, would have been born between 1805 and 1815, or thereabouts.

If you have easy access to the census returns, is there any possibility that you, or someone could chase the families back through the 1871, 61, 51 and 41 censuses?

But as I said, the most important thing to them is to trace their present-day relatives, so any leads in that direction would be absolute gold dust.

Also, if there are any photographs of old Cleckheaton, or even presnt-day ones, particularly of Springfield Terrace where Samuel was born, this would give them a flavour of the town and the times.

Any help you could offer on any of the above would be wonderful. ;D

Thankyou.

Offline winston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 November 04 13:54 GMT (UK) »
HI,

I do know of the area Springfield Terrace in the fact that I can take a look the next time I am over that way possibly within the next two weeks.  Just to point in the right direction the Srpingfield Terrace you are after is in the area of Scholes, Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire and on the census it does just say Cleckheaton.  If you were to go further over it would say Bradford, an even bigger area to look at.

I know Springfield Terrace does exist today and if I can get chance over the next 2 weeks I will see if I can bob over and take a photo.

As for Union Street yes that is definatlely in Cleckheaton I have a map of the area from 1905 and it is shown on there, again I know where to look so when I am in Cleckheaton again I will take a look for the street.  Not sure it still exists.

As for tracing present day family I will send you an E-mail address for the Spenborough Guardian news editor, she is a very helpful person you could send her a request for help or if you prefer you do it through me, just tell me what you want me to ask.  I will send her address to you through a PM.

Not promising but will see if over the time if I can track down any earlier census returns.

Wendy
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Blakeley in Batley West Yorks
Turner in Hanging Heaton West Yorkshire
Dann last known area Soothill West Yorks
Hirst in Hanging heaton W Yorks
Moss in Morley and Leeds
Parker in Morley W Yorks
Parker in Hull E Yorks
Tilburns in Morley W Yorks

Offline nsc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 November 04 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou ever so much, Wendy. That's wonderful.

Neil

Offline neil5856

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 May 08 19:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Wendy,

I'm back again!

My anaestetist friend has been very excited recently, as he found the following post on a site called  'Curious Fox':

I am trying to trace the family of James Spencer (born c1868) and Ada Barstow (born c1868) both in Cleckheaton. They were married on January 4th, 1891 at St ....

but when I clicked the link, it was dead. Very frustrating.

So we have information that could help them, but also, they may be the people we have been looking for!

As you're in Cleckheaton, is there any way in which you could help?

(I can't tell you how grateful we'd be if you could).

Thank you

neil

Neil