Author Topic: WW1 Records : Thomas Cartwright of Nantwich  (Read 3967 times)

Offline nsc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
WW1 Records : Thomas Cartwright of Nantwich
« on: Tuesday 09 November 04 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello.

We live in France, in the Somme region in fact and I am trying to find out what my paternal grandfather got up to in WW1. Which battles he was involved in, etc.

I have tried the War Office, but like so many records, it is felt that his perished in the blitz.

I know he served in France and I have his 1914-15 medal. On the back is stamped 4504 DVR (Driver, I assume) T H CARTWRIGHT, RFA (Royal Field Artillary).

He was from Nantwich, so which Regiment would he have signed up to? The Cheshires? The Manchesters? And what exactly is the Royal Field Artillary? I assume they provided the pre-battle barrage, and I assume a Driver led the horses which pulled the guns, but it’s only guesswork.

And were the Royal Field Artillary attached to Regiments, or were they a separate body altogether?

In short, is there any way I can find out where he is likely to have served?

Can anybody help? ???

Thankyou

Neil Cartwright

Offline floridagirl

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 Records : Thomas Cartwright of Nantwich
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 November 04 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Your grandfather probably served with my great grandfather in the RFA, he was a bombardier and a corporal in the 111th 112th brigades,
I actually received copies of his Army record today.
I kept hitting a brick wall each time I contacted the National Archives at Kew, so I contacted a researcher who visited Kew last week and copied all my great grandfathers details from the microfilms. I told him that I would like him to search the "Burnt Records" for me, and if nothing surfaced from these to check other sources. He told me his fees were £15 per hour plus 30pence each for each filmed document A3 size plus p&p, but he was sure that he would find my ggrandfathers records within an hour, and he did!
He sent me all the details some things I already knew, but alot of them I didn't. There were details of where he went in France, where he went from, when he went to France and returned, also included were the names of his children, includind a death certificate for a child I never knew existed.
He never asked for any money up front and sent me an invoice for his work for £25.75, which was for the "search" 32 A3 photocopies and £1.15 first class postage.
I feel as though the cost of hiring him was money well spent, if I had had to visit Kew myself, it would have cost me between £75 and£100 plus the fact that I would have had to take the day off work and lose wages and I might not have found what I was looking for anyway,
I think your grandfathers records will be in the "Burnt Records", each file varies from the next, your grandfather could have more or less information than mine did.
Good luck with your search, and if you ever want to contact the chap I used I will send you his e-mail address,
(I got his details from another Rootschat member)
The records you want are listed under WO363.
 :) :) :)
Norris, O'Donnell, McGuinness, Evans, Hendry, Thomas, Perry, Duxbury, Hudson, Guest, Robinson, Shewan, Fullam, Williams, Henderson, Gaffney, Brookes, Bird, Bruffell, Baron, Hase, Jones, Tomkins

Offline floridagirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 November 04 00:38 GMT (UK) »
I forgot to mention that you can download his medal role of honour from the National Archive Website, I think it costs about £3.50
Viv.
 ::)
Norris, O'Donnell, McGuinness, Evans, Hendry, Thomas, Perry, Duxbury, Hudson, Guest, Robinson, Shewan, Fullam, Williams, Henderson, Gaffney, Brookes, Bird, Bruffell, Baron, Hase, Jones, Tomkins

Offline nsc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 November 04 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Dear Viv

Thankyou very much!

I'd be very interested in the searcher's e-mail address!

Also, do you have a link for the National Archives?

Thanks again

Neil :)

Offline floridagirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 November 04 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neil,
The website for the archives is
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

The name of the researcher is Riachard Callanan.

His e-mail address is

research@callanan.demon.co.uk

Every other researcher I contacted wanted a minimum of half a days fees which could be £45 to £60 before any details were copied,
Good luck.
Viv.
 :) :) :)