Author Topic: Thomas Bramwell........Pensioner,Guernsey 1841 census.  (Read 2810 times)

Offline LancsLass

• I am sorry but my emails address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • All Census information is Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
Thomas Bramwell........Pensioner,Guernsey 1841 census.
« on: Tuesday 17 October 06 13:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Rootschatters.....

Hope someone with experiance in the Channel Islands might be able to help..
I have a 4x GtGrandfather   Thomas Bramwell living in St Peter Port,Guernsey  on the 1841 Census.....
His occupation was Pensioner........does anyone have any idea what this may mean ??
he was certainly on the Island in 1814 as i have the Birth of his daughter Martha Bramwell on the 2nd February 1814..although a later son Leonard Bramwell       (according to his marriage entry at Town Church  in 1854) was born c1816 in Stockport,Cheshire...
Thomas and wife certainly returned to stay in Guernsey and are buried there  at Candie Cemetery..
Any clues most gratefully receieved......
LancsLass.
Scott,Hampshire,Kidger,Iles/Isles,Buckley,Winterbottom,Broadbent.Davenport,Lancashire,Yorkshire.
Eastwood, Eckersley, Newton,Partington,Forth, Smethurst,Stalker,Simpson,Oldham,Lancashire Lancashire.
Manning,Dobson,Bramwell,Sims/Syms,Cheshire,Staffordshire,Lancashire,Devon,Guernsey,Channel Islands.
Mallalieu/Mellodew. Ashton-u-Lyne/Saddleworth.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Bramwell........Pensioner,Guernsey 1841 census.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 May 07 12:48 BST (UK) »
Hiya LancsLass,

Looking at the information you've given so far it would appear that Thomas was too young to be retired and living on a pension. I've a feeling that the old definition of Pensioner .. An attendant; a retainer ... might apply. Thomas may have worked in the household of a wealthy person in Guernsey.

I'm wondering whether a pensioner could be described as a person who ran a pension .... Wikipedia states: A pension is a family-owned guesthouse. This term is used in Spain, Italy and other countries as a synonym of cheap hostel, where one can usually get a room with a shared bathroom. These small businesses may offer special prices for travelers staying more than a week.

Christopher

Offline LancsLass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 May 07 14:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Christopher...Many thanks for the input....Thomas Bramwell died in Guernsey in 1844 aged 65 years & 5 months..
I had wondered if the Pensioner could be Army connected ?..the family do not seem to have another other connections with the Army, rather Horses seem to be the main interest..His son Leonard was a groom on the 1851 census in the household of a Dr DeBeauvoir DeLisle..certainly one of Thomas's son in laws was also a groom to a Col.DeHaviland. Leonard himself later ran a Livery Stables...
Little difficult tracking down the Bramwell's since the census only gives us England as birthplace....
But thank you anyway..its certainly a line worth considering...
Regards...LancsLass
Scott,Hampshire,Kidger,Iles/Isles,Buckley,Winterbottom,Broadbent.Davenport,Lancashire,Yorkshire.
Eastwood, Eckersley, Newton,Partington,Forth, Smethurst,Stalker,Simpson,Oldham,Lancashire Lancashire.
Manning,Dobson,Bramwell,Sims/Syms,Cheshire,Staffordshire,Lancashire,Devon,Guernsey,Channel Islands.

Offline LancsLass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 September 07 15:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Christopher.....Just a update of Thomas Bramwell....thanks very much for your input, made me look at other things..In fact have received a print out now from National Archives that shows Thomas was in the Army and in Guernsey at the time of his daughters birth...In fact have a copy of his discharge papers with Guernsey hand written on them..
Changed regiments while in Guernsey...must have decided the Guernsey climate suited him as he certainley returned there and spent his last years on the Islands...
Many thanks..
LL.