Author Topic: Emma Petch b.1842  (Read 1022 times)

Offline robesur

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Emma Petch b.1842
« on: Wednesday 18 October 06 15:17 BST (UK) »
I have one of those mysteries which I am having difficulty resolving and think it might help if I tell you all to see what wisdom may come forward.

Emma Petch was born in 1842, reg. Thingoe, MarQ,13,470. She was the daughter of William Petch and Elizabeth Marsh. A baptism is recorded on the IGI, (not a reliable source), at Hempton? (could be Ampton), Suffolk 19 Jun1842. On the 1851 census she is with her parents at Out Northgate, Bury St Edmunds, her place of birth is shown as Culford. I cannot be certain but in 1861 I think she is a servant in Mildenhall but her PoB is down as Fornham, her parents are living in Northgate Road, BSE, the nearest villages to this area are the Fornhams.

Free BMD shows a marriage of an Emma Petch, BSE District, DecQ1868, 4a 980. The only other name on this reference is Henry Mayfield. The 1871 census shows a Henry Mayfield, age 29, a railway porter, b.BSE with a wife Emma age 30, b.Ampton, Suffolk, lodging at 40 Station Street, West Ham, Essex.

There is no trace of Henry Mayfield on the 1881 or 1891 census but there is in 1881 an Emma Mayfield, age 40, b. Ampton, married, living with a John & Amelia Melton (miss spelt as Metton), at 4 Woodlea Road London, but she is shown as a daughter, Amelia was also born in Ampton. The 1891 still shows her as their daughter, now living at 40 Cruickshank Road, West Ham.

My problem is, is this person Emma Petch, if so Where is Henry and why is she claiming to be the daughter of this couple? If not where is the real Emma Petch.

I would welcome all comments and suggestions.

???

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Emma Petch b.1842
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 October 06 16:35 BST (UK) »
Hi
I've replied with some thoughts to your Suffolk thread.
Cheers Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge