Author Topic: Smyth Matthew  (Read 3535 times)

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
Smyth Matthew
« on: Wednesday 18 October 06 19:45 BST (UK) »
I am researching the family of Smyth Mullymagowan, Parish lavan. Matthew Joseph SmYth was born 13/03/1861. Incredibly he shares the same date of birth as me. He was my Grandfather.  I believe his father was Phillip Smyth.  He moved to England and married Frances Amelia Houghton in 1889 in Ashton in Makerfield.He had brothers Philip and Andrew. If any one has any links please contact me

Erin
Butler  Wexford .   Smyth  Cavan.    Dooley  Liverpool.   McKay Liverpool.    Kennedy  Manchester.     Walsh  Cheshire.   Mericks  Whitehaven.   Houghton  Ashton in Makerfield.  Torpey  Cork.    Duffy  Cortaghard, Co Monaghan.   Mc Cabe   Kilkit, Co Monaghan. Jackson  Latully, Co Cavan.

Offline smytty

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Smyth Matthew
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 August 08 04:11 BST (UK) »
Erin21,

Though it is likely of little significance to you, my name is also Matthew Joseph Smyth.  I was born in 1969 and my grandfather (Vincent) was born in Ireland before he immigrated to Brooklyn, NY.  My twin brother (Michael) has done extensive work on our family's geneology.  Most of efforts have been placed on our family's roots in northeastern Indiana.  I am certain he would like to do more research on my grandfather's lineage and it is certainly possible that the Smyth name we share somehow links our families in some way.  Just thought it was cool to see that your grandfather and I share the same name. 

Thanks,

Matt

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 August 08 23:36 BST (UK) »
could'nt find a birth for matthew, the only family i could find with a phillip & andrew is this one.

BIRTHS. CATHERINE 7-5-1867. PHILLIP 15-5-1879. ANDREW 20-1-1872. BRIDGET 22-7-1874. ALL BORN BAILIEBORO, CAVAN.

PARENTS. PHILLIP SMYTH/SMITH & BRIDGET REILLY.

regards mary.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 August 08 22:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Mary That's interesting but I understand Matthew's father was called Philip Smyth born 1830 and was married to a woman called Catherine .
Erin :)
Butler  Wexford .   Smyth  Cavan.    Dooley  Liverpool.   McKay Liverpool.    Kennedy  Manchester.     Walsh  Cheshire.   Mericks  Whitehaven.   Houghton  Ashton in Makerfield.  Torpey  Cork.    Duffy  Cortaghard, Co Monaghan.   Mc Cabe   Kilkit, Co Monaghan. Jackson  Latully, Co Cavan.

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 August 08 22:25 BST (UK) »
Erin21,

Though it is likely of little significance to you, my name is also Matthew Joseph Smyth.  I was born in 1969 and my grandfather (Vincent) was born in Ireland before he immigrated to Brooklyn, NY.  Matt
Hi Matt
Do you have any furter information on Vincent Smyth?
Erin :)

Offline smytty

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 January 10 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Erin,

I obviously haven't visited this site in awhile.  My grandfather, Vincent, just passed recently.  I know our Smyth ancestry is akin to the Zevnik family (some of whom still reside in Ireland today).  I should ask my brother to log on as he is the "expert" in our family's geneology.  He and I are planning a visit to Ireland in the near future.  Perhaps that will yeild additional information.   I will contact him and let him know about this site.  Thanks for your reply.  Sorry I don't have anything to share.

Matt