Author Topic: 1871 lookup Complete Thank you  (Read 10572 times)

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
1871 lookup Complete Thank you
« on: Thursday 19 October 06 13:11 BST (UK) »
Would any kind person be able to look for a William Walker born 1844 Scotland his wife had just died and could be visiting family in Ireland by the name of Roddick/Riddick/ Roddoch a variety of spellings or Craig.
Many thanks. :-\
William Walker Glasgow<br />Pattison Northumberland<br />Pallent Suffolk<br /><br />This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Grandfather Bryant 1897
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 lookup
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 November 06 08:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello irret

Tell us more...........where is he in 1861/1881 and what does the family consist of/ages/occupations/where born

Bryant
Researching names BRYANT (Camberwell), PASTERFIELD (Essex and all), RAY (Holborn/Islington areas back to Brentford), POWELL (Glouc & beyond?)
Fletcher (Glouc into Warwickshie into Lancs?), BUCKLEY (Chatham area), Watson (Chatham area).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 November 06 08:23 GMT (UK) »
Off to work now  VERY VERY LATE  :o THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR INTEREST believe me I will be back on tonight. :)
William Walker Glasgow<br />Pattison Northumberland<br />Pallent Suffolk<br /><br />This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 November 06 08:49 GMT (UK) »
Looked at the previous posts.........

MILTON, BARONY, (GLASGOW) SCOTLAND
WILLIAM WALKER  38
MARGARET     "       36
AGNES           "        10
CRIGHTON     "         8
WILLIAM        "         6
JOHN              "         3
ANN                "         1
----------------
MILTON
WILLIAM WALKER  48        PAISLEY, RENFREWSHIRE
MARGARET     "       47        STONEHOUSE, LANARKSHIRE
AGNES           "        19        PAISLEY
WILLIAM        "        16        GLASGOW
ANN               "         11              "
MARGARET C  "         5                "
----------------

Marriage.........
WILLIAM WALKER to MARY ANN HUGHES............1868

questions..........
1/ WHERE DOES THE NAME OF CRAIG FIT IN?

2/ WHERE DID WILLIAM MARRY MARY ANN HUGHES?

3/ WILLIAM & MARY'S DAUGHTER WAS BORN GLASGOW 1874?.....AND MARY THE MOTHER DIES SOON AFTER, IS THAT CORRECT? WHERE DOES SHE DIE?

4/ FROM WHAT I HAVE READ.............I SEE NO REASON FOR THEM TO HAVE LEFT SCOTLAND, LET ALONE BE IN ENGLAND...IS THEIR A REASON?

5/ HAVE YOU ANY SITINGS OF WILLIAM .......POST MARRIAGE 1868?

Bryant
Researching names BRYANT (Camberwell), PASTERFIELD (Essex and all), RAY (Holborn/Islington areas back to Brentford), POWELL (Glouc & beyond?)
Fletcher (Glouc into Warwickshie into Lancs?), BUCKLEY (Chatham area), Watson (Chatham area).

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 November 06 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Right, you have done so well so far  :) William born 1844 Glasgow his father dies soon after and William is with his grandparents William Roddick and Jean/Jane Craig in Dumfries 1851 and 1861 although (down as nephew and not grandson but they are definitely his grandparents as confirmed on later marriages in Scotland.)and as you have found marries Mary Ann Hughes in 1868 they have Mary in 1869 and mother Mary dies soon after. In 1873/4 Williams mother who has married several times is married to Duncan Mc Arthur takes Mary to the US no sign of William in 1871.
Meanwhile in England Margaret Robinson marries James Harkness he dies in 1871 and Margaret has Ellen Walker1874, William 1876, and Jacob 1879 but for some reason William and Margaret don't marry until 1879 and then they show up on 1881,1891, and 1901 census in Wallsend Northumberland.
Source RG13 4796
Folio 54
Page 2
I have just tried looking for him on Ancestry in 1881/91 to give you the Source reference and would you believe it I cant find him.
So from 1869 after the funeral and I can't believe he would leave scotland until daughter Mary had gone to US in 1873 but cuts it fine to be in Northumberland having Ellen with Margaret Robinson she is found in 1871 Wallsend living with her brother in law and sister. Hope this all makes sense to you.

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 November 06 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Williams marriage to Mary Ann Hughes is Blythswood Glasgow also Mary's birth 1869 and also mothers death.
Found them under wife name
1881 Source RG11 5071
Folio47
Page 16
Source RG12 4220
Folio 101
Page 16
The other family that you found with Crighton I worked on for a few months thinking it to be the right one and then had a lucky find William living in Wallsend entering US to visit his daughter Mary in New Jersey and then all the pieces fitted in we found Williams mothers maiden name from marriage to Mary Hughes and then her parents names and William has a grandson named Roddick Walker so that was a GREAT FIND. We still haven't got Williams baptism  :'( neither his parents marriage-  do have his grandparents marriage William Walker born 1793 don't know where but a jeweller to Flora Gilchrist and this is my brick wall as William 1793ish died about 1825 before census  >:(

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 November 06 19:04 GMT (UK) »
SO.................Iv'e been led up the garden path already...wrong William

LOGIC..........why would grandparents state that their grandson is their nephew  ??? ...on two census...definitely don't like that!

can you display the 1851 & 1861 census with all those within plus their ages, occupations, address etc

the details of the marriage to Mary Ann Hughes.......which I gather has far more than just father's name on it?

quote........
and then had a lucky find William living in Wallsend entering US to visit his daughter Mary in New Jersey and then all the pieces fitted in we found Williams mothers maiden name from marriage to Mary Hughes and then her parents names and William has a grandson named Roddick Walker so that was a GREAT FIND. We still haven't got Williams baptism   neither his parents marriage-  do have his grandparents marriage William Walker born 1793 don't know where but a jeweller to Flora Gilchrist and this is my brick wall as William 1793ish died about 1825 before census   ....
unquote

I gather that WALLSEND is the one on the TYNE ie Newcastle......how do you know he was living there?

If he wasn't living there (Wallsend) and was just travelling to the USA from there? why would he travel 160 miles to the south east to Newcastle (north east England) from Glasgow (west Scotland) when he wished to go west to the USA....... surely the Ship when leaving Wallsend would then circumnavigate Scotland then pass Ireland on its way to the USA!.............. ???

Bryant

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 November 06 19:41 GMT (UK) »
William Walker
British/Scotch
Residence - Walsend/Tyne, England
Date of Arrival - June 16th 1924
Age on arrival - 79 years, 11 months
Passenger on board "Scythia"
Port of departure - Liverpool
Port of arrival - New York
Home address- 15, Hawthorne Grove, Wallsend
Person visiting - daughter. C. E. Trueman, 204, Tontine Avenue, Lyndhurst, New Jersey
Staying 60 days
Description, 5ft 8 ins. blue eyes, grey hair, fair complexion.
Born Glasgow, Scotland

This gives us a birth date June/July 1844

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 November 06 19:50 GMT (UK) »
At first we only had William on 1881-1901 census and his 1879 Northumberland marriage showing both wid.so how did we find his first marriage with only his fathers name no mother as English marr. we didn't even know baby Mary existed.
Quote Jan 2006
I have only made this connection to days ago by chance. My search has been for William Walker 1844 Glasgow. I have 100% info for him 1881-1935 in Northumberland  it's his early years in Scotland we need 1844-1879 We had a break through a cousin remembered William went to America to visit a daughter in his latter years and we found this