Author Topic: 1871 lookup Complete Thank you  (Read 10573 times)

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Grandfather Bryant 1897
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 lookup
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 19 November 06 16:18 GMT (UK) »
NOW..................

J's have a tendancy to look like S's especially when leaning to the right

AND..............if you was getting married and your father was deceased you would quote his name ie WILLIAM WALKER
If however your mother was still alive..........you would quote her name of the day and not one that she once was..........ie you would quote MARGARET J RODDICK

IF HOWEVER...........one thing at a time

Bryant

got to go out...........bye
Researching names BRYANT (Camberwell), PASTERFIELD (Essex and all), RAY (Holborn/Islington areas back to Brentford), POWELL (Glouc & beyond?)
Fletcher (Glouc into Warwickshie into Lancs?), BUCKLEY (Chatham area), Watson (Chatham area).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 19 November 06 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the marr. ( have you been able to view everything that I have sent? ) Yes I do think it is a J so she was Margaret J Roddick probably Jean / Jane after her mother Jean/Jane Craig/Roddick. It does say Margaret Walker ( William Walker dec. and then Margaret J Roddick.)
William Walker Glasgow<br />Pattison Northumberland<br />Pallent Suffolk<br /><br />This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 19 November 06 19:58 GMT (UK) »
terri..................

Their is no "Jane" Craig..................Margaret is Jane.......she uses the name Jane in everyday life but her real name is Margaret Jane Roddick (nee Craig)

"Jane" Craig married William Walker in 1831 at Govan, Lanark.............William must have died sometime between 1844-1851 ...........as William (junior) was born in 1844 and Jane (Walker maiden name Craig) has by all accounts married William Roddock by 1851 as per census

I will have a look see if I can find the marriage of William RODDICK to (Jane or Margaret) WALKER

Bryant
ps. haven't looked at any of the images yet
Researching names BRYANT (Camberwell), PASTERFIELD (Essex and all), RAY (Holborn/Islington areas back to Brentford), POWELL (Glouc & beyond?)
Fletcher (Glouc into Warwickshie into Lancs?), BUCKLEY (Chatham area), Watson (Chatham area).

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 19 November 06 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Bryant, not grasping it fully at the moment, it certainly blows everything out of the water. Can you treat me as though I have no brain and talk me through it I have everything we have found so far so firmly in my head that it is hard to take in.
So fact we do have William Roddick married to Jean Craig so who is the second Jean/ Margaret Craig in relation to them?
IS SHE A SISTER TO jane Craig?
William Walker Glasgow<br />Pattison Northumberland<br />Pallent Suffolk<br /><br />This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 19 November 06 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Jane Roddock is Margaret Jane Roddock (previous name Walker...maiden name Craig)..............she doesn't use the name Margaret in every day life!
Jane is seen in 1851 & 1861 married to William Roddick

William Roddock dies sometime between 1861-1866 as Margaret Roddock marries Duncan McArthur on the 31st October 1866 at Milton, Glasgow

Bryant

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 19 November 06 20:44 GMT (UK) »
William Roddick dies in 1866 but at the risk of ................... I still don't follow. :o

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 19 November 06 20:56 GMT (UK) »
 :)Jane Craig who is marr. to W Roddick has a sister ....  ( Margaret or Jean ) ? Craig who marries  A William Roddick and they have Margaret Roddick who in turn marries W Walker the tailer this fits soo well with relationships RE on the 1851/61 census.

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 19 November 06 21:06 GMT (UK) »
I think it's about time I opened those files............

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 19 November 06 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Where do we begin..............this being what we know

MARGARET WALKER/RODDICK/McARTHUR born circa 1827 appears to be the mother of WILLIAM WALKER born 1844....but she appears to be the daughter of his mother's sister?

On the info provided we have..............

1851 census
Stranraer
WILLIAM RODDICK   HEAD   64  CARTER   CO DOWN, IRELAND
JANE           "            WIFE    63                         "             "
HELLEN      "             DAUR   20                 STRANRAER
WILLIAM WALKER   NEPHEW  7                GLASGOW SOUTH
--------------------
WILLIAM RODIC  HEAD  74  CARTER   IRELAND
WILLIAM W                    18                  GLASGOW, LANARK
JANNET HIGGANS          17
--------------------
SO............if it states that William Walker is the nephew of William Roddick.....he should be a nephew?.........which if true? means William Walker is the result of a marriage between William Roddick's sister and someone with a surname of Walker or as a result of William Roddick's wife's sister and a man named Walker..............
Based on the 1866 marriage of Margaret & Duncan McArthur.........Margaret is the daughter of William & Jane Roddick (nee Craig) as seen in the 1851 census......if that is true?....William & Jane Roddick are indeed the grandparents of William Walker and not the uncle & aunt!........................but not for me

NOW...........On the 1st January 1831 their is a marriage of a JANE CRAIG to a WILLIAM WALKER at Govan, Lanark.........is this a total coincidence? or is she the sister of Jane Roddick (nee Craig)...............
-------------
Milton
31st October 1866....MARGARET RODDOCK aged 42 (wid) marries DUNCAN McARTHUR aged 48 (widr)
parents JOHN McARTHUR (dec) & MARY McARTHUR (nee HAYMAN)
    "        WILLIAM & JANE RODDOCK (nee CRAIG)
---------------
JULY 17TH
WILLIAM WALKER (24 bachelor) marries MARY ANN HUGHES (18 spinster)
parents....WILLIAM & MARGARET WALKER (nee RODDICK)
    "           HENRY & MARY HUGHES (nee REYNOLDS)
witnesses...........MARGARET RODDICK & DUNCAN McARTHUR...they married each other in 1866
---------------
4th JAN 1869
MARY WALKER was born.........parents... WILLIAM & MARY ANN WALKER (nee HUGHES (deceased)...........married July 17th 1868
---------------
MARY ANN WALKER died 14th Jan 1869....married to William Walker......parents of Mary are HENRY HUGHES (dec) MARY HUGHES (nee REYNOLDS)
-----------------------------
DUNCAN McARTHUR           HEAD  45
MARGARET       "                WIFE   43
GEORGINA M   "                DAUR   23
WILLIAM          "                SON      4
MARY WALKER McARTHUR  daur      2

*Mary aged 2 being the daughter of her son William Walker
-----------------------------

1/ we need to find the Roddick/Rodick/Rodic/Roddock/Rodock family in the 1841 census

2/ we need the detail from that 1831 marriage of Jane Craig to William Walker

3/ If the 1831 marriage is the correct families they should be findable in the 1841 census (with several children?) as William the son wasn't born to circa 1844 and Jane who is married to William might well have the name of Margaret ............... this would make William born 1844 the nephew of William Roddick.........son of wife's sister

4/ Helen Rodick (daur of William & Jane Roddick? as seen in 1851 census) appears to marry Robert Cowan on the 30th April 1852 Gorbals, Lanark.............can we find her in 1861 to see if anything is revealed?

And unfortunately I have no access to any of the 1841 census for Scotland (I really wish I had)...........Terri it's over to you

Bryant