Author Topic: 1871 lookup Complete Thank you  (Read 10574 times)

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Grandfather Bryant 1897
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 lookup
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 19 November 06 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Terri

I'm getting there slowly............need clarification on below

QUOTE...........
William born 1844 Glasgow his father dies soon after and William is with his grandparents William Roddick and Jean/Jane Craig in Dumfries 1851 and 1861 although (down as nephew and not grandson but they are definitely his grandparents as confirmed on later marriages in Scotland.)and as you have found marries Mary Ann Hughes in 1868 they have Mary in 1869 and mother Mary dies soon after. In 1873/4 Williams mother who has married several times is married to Duncan Mc Arthur takes Mary to the US no sign of William in 1871.
Meanwhile in England Margaret Robinson marries James Harkness he dies in 1871 and Margaret has Ellen Walker1874, William 1876, and Jacob 1879 but for some reason William and Margaret don't marry until 1879 and then they show up on 1881,1891, and 1901 census in Wallsend Northumberland.
unquote............

1/ WILLIAM RODDICK & JEAN/JANE CRAIG.........are they William Walker's mum's parents and is Jean/Jane married to William Roddick and is therefore a Roddick,  maiden name Craig?

2/ Are Duncan McArthur and William's mother (whats her name?) married in 1871............if so, where are they? how old are they in 1871?

3/ William's mother when she took grandaughter Mary to the USA, where did she sail from?

4/ The birth certs of Ellen, William & Jacob.........You have them & William is definitely the father?

getting there slowly..............getting old

Bryant
Researching names BRYANT (Camberwell), PASTERFIELD (Essex and all), RAY (Holborn/Islington areas back to Brentford), POWELL (Glouc & beyond?)
Fletcher (Glouc into Warwickshie into Lancs?), BUCKLEY (Chatham area), Watson (Chatham area).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 19 November 06 11:12 GMT (UK) »
It's a yes to your first two paragraphs  :)
A yes to 1/
2/ 1871 66 Northwoodside Rd Glasgow
Duncan 45
Margaret 43
Georgina ( daughter from another marr ) 23
William Mc Arthur  4 ( Duncan /Margarets son)
Mary Walker McArthur 2 down as daughter but as we know grandaughter
3/Quote Got them!!! Look at the spelling of McArthur, I ask you!! (doubting
my
sanity for a mo there):

Duncan    Mc Authur    Stableman / Ostler    45    M    23 Jun 1873    Scotland
Virginia
Margaret    Mc Authur    Wife             42    F    23 Jun 1873    Scotland    Virginia
Mary       Mc Authur    Child, Youngster       6    F    23 Jun 1873    Scotland
   Virginia
William    Mc Authur    Child, Youngster       10    M    23 Jun 1873    Scotland
Virginia

4/Yes

:) :) :)
William Walker Glasgow<br />Pattison Northumberland<br />Pallent Suffolk<br /><br />This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 19 November 06 13:36 GMT (UK) »
13TH NOVEMBER 1820
WILLIAM WALKER marries FLORA GILCHRIST....GORBALS, LANARK, SCOTLAND
--------------------

21ST MAY 1821............WILLIAM WALKER was born.....GORBALS, LANARK, SCOTLAND
31ST MAY 1821............WILLIAM WALKER was Christianed...GORBALS, LANARK
parents....WILLIAM WALKER & FLORA GILCHRIST
--------------------
possible marriage..
WILLIAM WALKER to MARGARET CROW....12TH JUNE 1842....GORBALS, LANARK

Bryant
Researching names BRYANT (Camberwell), PASTERFIELD (Essex and all), RAY (Holborn/Islington areas back to Brentford), POWELL (Glouc & beyond?)
Fletcher (Glouc into Warwickshie into Lancs?), BUCKLEY (Chatham area), Watson (Chatham area).

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 19 November 06 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you  :) I do have it - it is 1871 that is the only thing missing. I do have a timeline with everything on it but don't know how to attach it? to send to you.
It's so annoying I do think William is still in Scotland.
William Walker Glasgow<br />Pattison Northumberland<br />Pallent Suffolk<br /><br />This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 19 November 06 13:59 GMT (UK) »
William /Flora Gilchrist is the farthest back that I have got. We know he was a jeweler from his daughters marr. details but he died about 1825 so not on any census  MY BRICK WALL >:(
I do have lots of info on the Gilchrists though. :)

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 19 November 06 15:23 GMT (UK) »
terri

www.originsnetwork.com  (which I use) states that the IGI is an index and contains basic info such as name/date/parish .................. whereas the Original old parish registers & statutory registers contain more comprehensive data

original old parish register = £9-00
statutory register= £8-00

I was thinking of the marriage of 1820 .......... Flora & William Walker

what additional info it has I don't know? but it is available through originsnetwork.com

Bryant

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 19 November 06 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Bryant,
Thanks for that info. it's on the way. I have never used that site I shall take a look :) do you think the statutory register= £8-00 will contain anything different from the original old parish register and do I understand you correctly can you order this from www.originsnetwork.com ?

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 19 November 06 15:47 GMT (UK) »
William Roddick wasn't William's natural grandfather on his maternal side!

Jane Craig was William Walker's (born 1844) mother ....well I think she is?

JANE CRAIG married WILLIAM WALKER on the 1st January 1831 at Govan, Lanark

Bryant

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 19 November 06 15:58 GMT (UK) »
This has blown me away ??? On Williams marriage to Mary Hughes it states parents William Walker Tailor and Margaret S Roddick so does you new statement still hold firm?