Author Topic: Marriage records  (Read 2021 times)

Offline Hunnyb22

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage records
« on: Thursday 19 October 06 23:17 BST (UK) »
Hi..Could anyone tell me how I would find the marriage details of my maternal great, great grandparents Thomas Melford/Milford and his wife Hannah (maiden name not know) ?Thomas was born 1814, in Co.Mayo. I believe they married between 1830-1838. I know some of their children were born there, at least 4, and I think they moved to Sheffield, England around 1851-1858.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards ;)
C Butler

Offline saddles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage records
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 October 06 01:38 BST (UK) »

The Griffiths Valuation Index (1847-1864) shows only one
MILFORD (no melford) in Mayo

MILFORD, Patrick
County:      Mayo
Parish:      Ballintober

Therefore the parish of Ballintober is a place to start, but
you need to keep in mind that marriages/births/baptisms
were generally recorded in the spouse/mothers parish,
which may be an adjacent parish to that of the husband
or father.

It will also depend on your ancestors religion, when the
church (or if) commenced to record events, if the records
have survived etc.

You can try writing to the parish but be prepared to be
refered to the Mayo heritage centre for paid research.

Mike.
Townson - Cartmel                      O'Malley - Askeaton, Ireland
Sadler - Dymock & Salford           Tomlinson - St Peters, Leeds
Wilkinson - Salford                      Chant - Sherbourne, Dorset
Garner - Pendleton

Offline Hunnyb22

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 October 06 13:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike...Thanks for your message.

I have already found Patrick Milford from the Irish website. However, according to my gran's birth certificate, her mother's maiden name was Melford, not Milford, unless the registrar in Sheffield mis-heard, as apparently, both her parents were illiterate, so wouldn't have been able to correct the spelling would they?

My great, great grandmother was Hannah Melford (maiden name not known) born 1816 in Ireland, this I have found on the ancestry, Mormon and the  FreeBMD websites, so I need records before 1837.

Thanks once again for your help.

Kind regards
C.Butler

Offline Neptune

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 October 06 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hi
It won't be easy as you will probably have to rely on parish records. Only Church of Ireland marriages go back to 1845-all others are from 1864.

I had a look on some of the census records and the name appears to be Milford except the 1881 where Hanna is a widow but under the name Melford. However she has her daughter Mary A. living with her-age 23.

There is a birth entry on the Free BMD for Mary A Milford in the September quarter of 1858 in Sheffield.If this could be Thomas and Hanna's daughter you could appy for a copy of her birth certificate you should learn Hanna's maiden name.

This would be a help in your search as you could then have a look at Griffiths Valuation of 1864 to  see in which parishes the surnames occurred or check  the IGI.

Hope this might help in some way
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hunnyb22

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 October 06 01:09 BST (UK) »
Hi...Thanks for your message.

Yes, I have already seen Mary A and Thomas Milford on FreeBMD website  they're also on the ancestry website. 

I realise that finding Hannah's maiden name won't be easy as I've loooked on several websites, even the Ballintober marriage records, but there's nothing there. I have to find out where she was born, the census records just say Ireland, according to the LDS website, there's no county stated, I just assumed because her daughter Rose Ann was from Co.Mayo that Hannah would have been from there too.

Is it possible to send for Rose Ann's birth certificate without giving her parents names? I don't know which town she was from because I haven't found her on any other records apart from her marriage records (on FreeBMD) and the 1881 census, but both only say Co.Mayo.

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards
C.Butler