Author Topic: Looking for Margaret Stewart  (Read 1383 times)

Offline NZfitzy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Margaret Stewart
« on: Saturday 21 October 06 05:32 BST (UK) »
Looking for My fathers birth Mother Margaret Stewart and family.He was born 27/9/1912 at 492 Rutherglen Rd Glasgow.Mother was Margaret Stewart and father was Gordon Hart.He was adopted at birth.(Not a reg adoption)Her address was 49 Arlington St Glasgow.First valuation roll 1913 shows Annie Stewart Tennant-What was in use prior to 1913? It's a bit of a struggle as Margaret Stewart  is a very common name in Glasgow.Any ideas or suggestions out here?

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Margaret Stewart
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 October 06 09:32 BST (UK) »
Without much further information it is difficult to track backwards - Margaret Stewart is as you say a common name (there are 350 in the 1901 census for Glasgow) although Hart is not that common ( there are NO Gordon Hart's listed in the 1901 census for Glasgow City)

Re the adoption - Adoption was not formalised in Scotland until 1930 and this could have been a private arrangement through the family or possibly through a third party. If this was one of the charitable organisations set up to assist they may still have records although access to those is often limited.

Have a read at - although it is concerning living relatives it may give you some ideas
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,171449.0.html

One thing that does puzzle though is that Arlington Street and Rutherglen Road are at almost opposite ends of the City !

Offline NZfitzy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 October 06 10:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that info re adoption.I have had an Edinburgh based company called Birthlink doing some research but as you say private arrangements are hard to track.They have come up with a family Stewart but proving it is my Margaret Stewart is the problem.

The fact that 492 Rutherglen Rd was owned by William Berry Hart (brother of Gordon) could explain why Hector ( my father) was born there.Gordon was listed as living at 177 Renfrew street.Not sure where that is in relation to the other addresses.He was a Mercantile clerk.She was a Produce Merchants clerk.I think they may have worked together.

Thanks for your help.Will check out that adoption site
Cheers
Josephine

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 October 06 10:32 BST (UK) »
Renfrew Street is relatively close to where Arlington Street once stood and makes more sense as does the ownership of the building in Rutherglen Road.

Cutting down the likely ages of Margaret Stewart does reduce the number to search on census records but without definitive proof there will always be a doubt about the "right" one.