Author Topic: Agnes Ballantyne, Quebec  (Read 5080 times)

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Agnes Ballantyne, Quebec
« Reply #18 on: Monday 06 September 10 19:34 BST (UK) »
Hello Suttontrust

The family found by J.J. in the 1852 and 1861 Censuses (previous post) is traceable and has an apparent connection to the church that Agness was married in. If you would like more info about this Agnes and her family, please let me know and I will post it for you.

Polarbear
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 06 September 10 23:28 BST (UK) »
Polarbear, thanks for your interest.  Since starting the thread I've got some more information about Agnes's parents, but anything else you can give me would be most helpful.  I know when Peter died and where he was buried, but that connection to St John's church would be interesting.
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 12:56 BST (UK) »
Hi again.

The marriage you posted for Agnes Ballantyne took place at Quebec City in Chalmer's Church. Taking a second look at the signatures, I wonder if Agnes didn't in fact sign twice b/c she should have signed in her maiden name and not as Agnes Clark?

here is a baptism in Montreal at St Andrew's Church for...

Agnes Ballantyne
b. 03 Oct 1845
c. 07 Nov 1845
f. James Ballantyne, a Private in Her Majesty's 93rd Highlanders
m. Ann May

This family subsequently moved to Quebec City and baptized their next few children at Chalmer's Church.

By the 1852 Census posted by J.J. James appears to no longer be in the Highlanders but the family is still in Quebec in the 1871 Census.

Not only Agnes, but at least 2 other daughters were married in Chalmer's Church.

So.... food for thought.
Might this be another Agnes for you to consider?

Polarbear

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 15:48 BST (UK) »
Now I'm thoroughly confused  :-\  It's 4 years since I considered this branch of the family "done".  Agnes gives her place of birth as Quebec on the English censuses.  I know that's not conclusive, but it's a steer.  And she called her daughter Agnes Jane, which might be a link to her grandmother.  I suppose it's one of those "not proven" situations.
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 19:36 BST (UK) »
 I wanted to rectify the fact that I had steered this thread onto the wrong course, made obvious when I found a maiden name for Agnes.
 Peter Maitland Ballantyne and Agnes Reid are probably not your ancestors as I found a death for an Agnes Moore born the same year in Quebec....This can be proven by finding that marriage.  I had thought perhaps it might have been a middle name, but I looked again for the 1852 census information which is now available from other sources and found another Agnes born , 1845 /1846 in Quebec. Both also show in 1861...which is now available online
again my apologies, J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 08 September 10 04:05 BST (UK) »
Hello again.

To try and clarify......

Quebec is a province in Canada. Montreal is a city in Quebec Province. I suspect the 'Quebec' in your Agnes' census record could possibly mean Quebec Province as opposed to Quebec City. Hope this makes sense?

The Agnes whose baptism I posted above was living in Quebec City in Quebec Province by the time she was 2 years old b/c her next sister was born in Quebec City in 1847. This sister was named Jane, as it turns out.

Agnes who married Mr Clarke did so in Quebec City in Quebec Province.

Polarbear

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 01 October 10 18:04 BST (UK) »
 :-\ ..although it goes wiithout saying, I am saying it anyway, and have now added a tagline to my profile
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

My apologies to polarbear who did more searching at my request to find unwanted information on the other Agnes.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com