Author Topic: Wiltshire and Swindon Record office  (Read 1109 times)

Offline gbugden

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Wiltshire and Swindon Record office
« on: Sunday 22 October 06 06:46 BST (UK) »
Hello I am an Australian researcher,
I have been searching the on-line records of the National Archives.

Apparently the Wiltshire and Swindon Records Office has information about my ancestor ELIZABETH BUGDEN, in the Register of Settlement and Examinations and Informations ref: G23/1/139/95 date 1826.

Can anybody tell me if there is more in this file than is mentioned on-line ( i.e. other than age, place of birth and spouse).

Cheers Greg

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
Re: Wiltshire and Swindon Record office
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 October 06 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Greg
If you haven't heard before December, I'll have a look.   Send me a PM, to remind me, at the end of November, if you've not found the answer.

Was Elizabeth the wife left behind in Wiltshire?

Cheers Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline gbugden

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 October 06 12:02 BST (UK) »
Yes Dave
She was the wife John Bugden left in england when he was transported. It is evocative to think she was still using his name and apparently stuggling to survive a couple of years after he left.

I'll let you know if I need you help in December

cheers
Greg

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 October 06 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Times were hard then.   It may be interesting to find out what happened to her although I appreciate she was not an ancestor of yours.
Cheers Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 December 06 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Greg, I found the document and leaving out the flowery language it goes something like this...........

Elizabeth Bugden wife of John Bugden residing in the
Pparish of St Martin 18 Sep 1826.   She is about 24 and born in the Parish of Coombe.   She was married to John Bugden about 6 years ago in the Parish of Pitton and Farley.   About 3 years ago her husband was sentanced to transportation for 14 years and since that time she has had no contact with him.Very shortly after her marriage she and her husband were removed, by a magistrate's order, from the Parish of Pitton and Farley to the Parish of Clarendon (writing is bad) and has since been relieved by the Parish officer of Clarendon.   She is pregnant and the child is not her husband's.

This was witnessed and Elizabeth made her mark.   Hope this helps, Dave