Author Topic: Second Master  (Read 638 times)

Offline Glenn Baird

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Second Master
« on: Sunday 22 October 06 11:47 BST (UK) »
Is there a way to find Royal Naval records from 1798 to 1805?

I have a John Baird who claims in a land petition to have served as Second Master for that time period and was discharged due to medical.
I would like to know what ship he served on.

Also what is a "Second Master and Pilate"?

Glenn
Taylor, Bechard, Gray, Baird

The Families of Glenn and Mona

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Second Master
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 October 06 12:50 BST (UK) »
A Sailing Master was a Warrant Officer, not commissioned but with an Admiralty Warrant [actually issued by Trinity House]. A Second Master would be his understudy on a large vessel.
"Pilate" would be pilot probably indicating that he had river experience, on the Thames or Medway.
There is a paid site that will do the search for you. I have no experience of how good they are:
http://www.militaryresearchon.com/cgi-bin/database/research.cgi?Period=PFW&Active=Yes&Force=Royal%20Navy/Marines&sb=3&so=ascend&view_records=1
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk